Fell right at the start...

Hi,

I am new to pixhawks and right now, I will say I got a clone! I know, I know....
But I am on a budget so here I am...

Anyway, I connected it to my computer for the first time and pressed the connect button (top right) no
problem, if I move the unit it did move the horizon on the HUD screen...

So, I started to set it up in "INITIAL SETUP"...
I went to load the hexacopter firmware, it seems to go though the motions, asks me to unplug, press ok,
and plug back in... I get a progress bar but then I got an error message saying "ERROR: Error uploading firmware"

Now it doesn't even want to connect???

Can anyone please advise?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Have you got the micro SD card installed? Mavlink won't connect if this isn't found.

• It's working now Richard.

Yes, the card is in place...

It didn't like uploading the firmware on Windows-XP but on Windows-7 it works as expected.

It performs all other functions on W-XP it seems it's just the firmware it has an issue with???

I had a very brief maiden and it flies fine! :-)

• Ok, time for an update...

My "clone" Pixhawk is working and I have had a brief maiden flight! All good!

It turns out that the Pix doesn't like Windows XP (My Laptop I use for everything Tech as some stuff is work and others won't run on W-7)

Anyway, I switched to another laptop using W-7 and it's fine! I'm a happy boy again! :-)

On a side note about "clones"....

People might already know this but I thought it's worth a line or two....

THERE ARE NO "CLONES"!!! I did some digging and the "original" developers are a company called CTH in Zurich.

3DR fund and support that development  and sell it under their branding at the premium price point....

CTH and 3DR have released the designs or the hardware and the software/firmware to the Opensource community   where it does from time to time receive further development.... 

There are of course more than a few Cheaper Chinese versions of it but who hasn't got something made in china???

Just because it's cheap, doesn't mean it's "CHEAP"!

I think if you knew how much you TV or your phone really cost to make, you'd cry! What a great world we would live in if everything was Opensource!

• Hi David; Glad you have it figured out and you are flying. As a electrical engineer, I do understand the difference in what we pay. I know that for pennies if component costs our cars would be very much safer. But when you post that 5 cents to millions of cars the costs adds up. But then does not the consumer pay that price hike...? Enjoy you Clone or original part cloned name or what ever it is called. Just glad to see you in the air...

• Jim, please don't think I was poking fun or aiming anything at you....

I was just sharing my joy of getting it sorted and trying to justify my purchase! ;-) oh, and the info I found...

Anyway, if this was so easy, I don't think I would have as much fun! :-)

• Hi David; I didn't take it that way at all. I welcome all information pertaining to our hobby. It makes some decisions easy, especially after someone reports the good/bad/ugly of our products within our hobby. I too like a challenge, and sometimes just the build is the most fun. Right now I am working out on the PID information for Tuning my Y6. Then I am off to cryo my motors and ESC's, makes them run cooler and my motors stronger..  

• Now that's something I've never heard of! What ans how is "cryo"???

I did notice my motors are a little warmer than I would expect but then as this is my first build, I'm not quite sure what to expect???

I'll measure it after a good flight when I get a chance....

• Hi David; We have a cryogenics shop along with our Machine shop. We cryo all of our cutting tools, plus we always cryo our motors.  It takes a complete weekend to run We start on Friday and by Monday noon we can retrieve our parts. We go down to -328 Deg. F. Computer controlled (PID) We have found that we generate more power from our motors and that they run much smoother and cooler. Google it up. Our pat-pend. method achieves levels that no one today can match. However give all the above. you do not have to cryo your motors they will run just as advertised, we on the other hand will try just about anything to see it if works. BTW my partner and I ran test on before and after cryo. there was a significant difference between the the before and after cryo. We tested one motor before and then after cryo same battery and prop. We averaged just over 11% gain in lifting and that the motor after cryo used less amps. If I can find the charts and data I will post them here...

• By the way, This is the first thing to go wrong but I've not read of anyone having problems of this sort at least???

I have read about issues with the 3DR Pixhawk though....

I'm not entirely sure it's a problem with the board.... rather than with either my Laptop of the Mission Planner itself???

I'll try to load the old version of the firmware tonight and if that's a no go, I'll try to get my money back?

• I have the PixHawk and the ARDUPlane v.2.6 both with over 500 flights. the Arduplane 2.6 has been into three different fixed wing aircraft as well as four different configurations of quads to hexa copters. All with out problems. Yes I did have to fine tune the fixed aircraft but then again who wouldn't want to get the maximum out of their aircraft. The Pixhawk rests in my Y6 and hanging from it is my TAU 2 LWIR. With over 20 flights on this Y6 I feel that I can trust it to behave as I have planed on my DP. I have purchased the Iris + and it has over 25 flights and not one glitch. So my recommendation is to return your controller and spring for the original. It will reduce much headaches and give you better comfort when you have a lot of dollars hanging on several props...

This reply was deleted.