LiDAR for Pixhawk "or" for dummies?

Last Updated: Sep 19th, 2018 - I will be updating my original post as people correct me and I learn new things.

Well, I am next off to monkey around with LIDAR technology and interestingly there is not one single document available that can explain different LIDAR technologies available for PixHawk "or" Pixhawk compatible devices, what each device does, limitations, programmability etc. 

I will attempt to take a shot at what I have learned so far but I would like the community to chime in so we can have a consolidated document for future reference. Just like a wiki page.

LIDAR = A detection system that works on the principle of radar, but uses light from a laser.

Applications:

1D - Range Finders. Typically work in combination with FC such as PixHawk.
2D - Short Range Obstacle detection.
3D - Used for surveying, mapping and point clouds. A method that measures the distance to a target by illuminating the target with pulsed laser light and measuring the reflected pulses with a sensor. Differences in laser return times and wavelengths can then be used to make digital 3-D representation of the target. 

LIDAR Types: So it appears there are two types of LIDAR sensors as far as the technology goes behind it.

1. traditional LIDAR sensors
2. Time of Flight (ToF) - More to come later...

SETUP:

So what are the components of an overall LIDAR system/solution?

Well, first you need to decide what the LIDAR will do in the real life world. That will determine the type of LIDAR sensor you will need for your fixed wing aircraft or the copter you are planning to use.

Do you really need a flight controller like PixHawk? the answer is NO BUT it depends on the application. If the application is rangefinder or does object avoidance, Pixhawk along with Mission planner can support such application on a drone.

If you are going to use the LIDAR for Mapping or analysis, that's whole new setup but do you really need a flight controller for such LiDAR to work? My understanding is NO, as long as we can provide LIDAR with the position of the aircraft using a separate GPS and IMU for processing data.

LIDAR SENSORS - Bufete :)

3691363411?profile=original

I am planning to put a power point presentation at the end which will consolidate all the tips, discussions here for future reference. Thanks for joining the discussion.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• So will the LIDAR push past the absolute height say if a larger tree is in the mix?

• I have updated the table with range support of each LiDAR.

The PixHawk compatible LiDAR works with both PixHawk models. I have not personally tested it for what you are trying to do, but I think LiDAR Lite V3 should be sufficient for what you are trying to accomplish and it's fairly cost-effective. You will have to set your waypoints using absolute height inside Mission planner and using LiDAR to avoid drone crashing into the canopy of the trees.

Jimmy Oliver said:

I have to apply pollen to the tops of trees at 8-12 feet. I would like to use LIDAR to get this close but adjust for orchard canopy variation. Which unit is best for this? Will it engage in an AUTO mission in TERRAIN mode? Will it work on PIXHAWK 1 or only on PIXHAWK 2? I was thinking of testing with the Benewake Mini.

Chris Anderson said:

You've got a wide range of sensors there, which all do different things. They break down into this:

1D: These are just range finders. (1,2,4)

2D: These are useful for short-range obstacle detection (3,5,6, although you missed the best of them, the RP-Lidar A2)

2.5D: These are meant for creating point clouds. (6,7,8)

• I have to apply pollen to the tops of trees at 8-12 feet. I would like to use LIDAR to get this close but adjust for orchard canopy variation. Which unit is best for this? Will it engage in an AUTO mission in TERRAIN mode? Will it work on PIXHAWK 1 or only on PIXHAWK 2? I was thinking of testing with the Benewake Mini.

Chris Anderson said:

You've got a wide range of sensors there, which all do different things. They break down into this:

1D: These are just range finders. (1,2,4)

2D: These are useful for short-range obstacle detection (3,5,6, although you missed the best of them, the RP-Lidar A2)

2.5D: These are meant for creating point clouds. (6,7,8)

Last Updated: Sep 19th, 2018 - I will be updating my original post as people correct me and I learn new things. Well, I am next off to monkey around…
  • @Igor Nastashchuk - I think Laser Developer has provided some good reads. check them out. I believe the technology is still evolving so let's see what others have to share with us.

Igor Nastashchuk's Discussions
    Igor Nastashchuk's Discussions | The largest amateur Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) community. Quadcopters, robot planes and more!
  • @Laser Developer - Great links! I will take my time to read the Scanning LiDAR and Laser Altimeter white papers. Seems very detailed and this is exactly what I was after. Thanks!

• My apologies for being brief. It looks like you are in the process of collecting information. Perhaps these will help:

This product is a scanning LiDAR sensor that integrates with the PixHawk FC for sense-and-avoid.

This product is a laser altimeter that integrates with the PixHawk FC.

This and this might give you an indication of the work that the ArduPilot team and others have done with LiDAR.

iSkyMaster said:

I see liDAR sensor on that website. What exactly are you asking us to read?

Laser Developer said:

You might find some more information here.

• I was already interested in this issue for my project. As a means of ensuring flight safety.
    And I tried to study the existing literature.

But I do not have practical application.

Based on what I know about the principles of operation of such devices and on the read - I got such an opinion.

On the Internet, a lot of articles about the excellent qualities of these devices. On the great opportunities that their use gives.
    But with the practice of application - a lot of questions. And the answers (clear, concrete and understandable) are much less.

Since for me (I think for many others) the practical value of lidars will appear when there are absolutely clear, understandable and unambiguous recommendations - "... for the lidar to work it is necessary to connect the device to the port such and such, the firmware should be such, it is configured so and so ... "

And there will be examples of positive use.

I must say that the situation is changing rapidly. And maybe I missed something. Since this question was dealt with some time ago.

Similar tasks are also being tried using millimeter-wave sensors.
    If I'm not mistaken, this is the responsibility of the Electronics Design. Sensors D3 Engineering...

• 3D Robotics

Yes, for mapping/scanning the Lidar works independently of the flight controller and often has its own GPS and/or IMU for more accurate recording. 

Lidars only work with the FC in the case of obstacle avoidance or (common in cars, rare with drones) SLAM. 

-c

iSkyMaster said:

Thanks, Chris. I will add it to the list.

I am still struggling to understand the correlation between liDAR and FC.

So for options 1,2,3,4,5,6 I can understand the function of the FC, but for 6,7,8 is it safe to assume that LiDAR for mapping works independent of FC and uses its own GPS perhaps or not even needed?

Is there wiring diagram I can look at for LiDAR mapping solutions.

Chris Anderson said:

Last Updated: Sep 19th, 2018 - I will be updating my original post as people correct me and I learn new things. Well, I am next off to monkey around…
  • I see liDAR sensor on that website. What exactly are you asking us to read?

Laser Developer said:

You might find some more information here.

• @Igor - Sorry kind of lost you. Are you asking questions or telling us something you know?

This reply was deleted.