Pixhawk being replaced with new version?

A major supplier of 3DR products here in the UK has just informed me that Pixhawk will not be re-stocked as it is being discontinued. I've heard similar rumblings elsewhere but then others say they are just false rumours. Any thoughts from anyone on this forum?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3D Robotics

Gary, Pixhawk 2 is now being released by a Dronecode team (see this for more). 

3DR will of course release higher performance autopilots that include computer vision ability in the future, and we've been pretty public about our work with Qualcomm on this. But this thread is just about the next steps in the Pixhawk line, which is designed to work with outboard companion computers for those functions. 

• Thank you for the response Chris,

I can't think of a more qualified person than Philip, I missed that post.

Thank you for clarifying both Pixhawk 2 and 3DR threads, I look forward to seeing what 3DR and Qualcomm mange to cook up.

Seems like there should be plenty of performance to go around.

Best,

Gary

• If you look at dronecode, the Phantom 4 features are in development, Video over WiFi (latencyhas always been an issue for FPV), Collision Avoidance, Vision Processing....

As I see it we need a multi-core multi-threaded OS, where different things can run at different priority. So I guess this is the direction we are goign, a Linux based auto-pilot.

• 3D Robotics

We actually announced the Pixhawk plans last year right here, so there should be no need for speculation. Pixhawk 1 is being replaced by a new, smaller and improved Pixhawk (100% compatible, but with improved sensors and processors) in the next few weeks.  Plus improved radios, GPS, and all the rest of the Pixhawk kit.

We'll continue to stock the original Pixhawk 1 for as long as stock remains, which should be another six months or so. But as others have pointed out, there are many very good Pixhawk-compatible boards out there for people who want to stick with something closer to the original form factor. 

• ehh I bought 2 weeks ago a Pixhawk and now info that new one will be in the next few weeks... ;)

• Good news Chris and I look forward to it.

Can you confirm that "100% compatible" means that includes all the same IO functionality as Pixhawk?  (ie: 14 PWM, 4 UART, CAN, I2C, SBUS Out, etc. etc. )

Or is this more like the Pixfalcon?

• 3D Robotics

The form factor is similar to the Pixfalcon, but the sensors and processors are new. But yes, it's only 100% software compatible. We looked at the actual usage of Pixhawk 1 and included the ports that 99.9% of users actually used. So if you really need that 4th UART (I've yet to meet that person, but they may be out there!), we recommend you stick with the original one.

• Hey, I'm one of those guys :)

1. Main data-link to companion computer

2. Backup long-range telemetry link for BLOS operations

3. GPS

4. FrSky telemetry for the pilot.

(Isn't there also a fifth UART port, used as a console?)

Thanks for the heads up though. Looking forward to more info on this new model.

• 4. can be T-ed off from a TX line from 1. or 2. I even triple split and hook up lines to an OSD and Frsky telemetry via teesny from one telemetry port.

• Good point.

This reply was deleted.