Has anybody used ROS (MavROS) on a Solo?

I've read about people using RobotOS installed on a linux-based ground station communicating to the pixhawk through telemetry using MavROS (MavLink based) with different degrees of success.
Has anybody done this on a Solo, communicating to a Pixhawk2 with MavROS? 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Guys,

we use MAVROS in Skysense Planner, an Open-Source web planner for MAVLink based drones.

I'm testing the support for the 3DR Solo with mixed results. I get tons of these errors:

[ WARN] [1473858049.969185732]: PR: request param #8 timeout, retries left 0, and 372 params still missing

Anyone knows why does this happen?

Thank You

Michele

• FlytOS (check out here) aims to support all autopilots using mavlink protocol. Currently px4 firmware is tested. Will try it on solo once I get one.

FlytOS make is easier to use ros with pixhawk / apm as it extends the autopilot api in ros.(you dont need to worry about mavros ;))

Additionally CPP and python apis are also provided. You can build apps on top of it using REST and Websocket APIs. And since ROS is at its core, you can expect many more possibilities.

Currently FlytOS can be tried in SITL demo.  

Solo certainly would be a great drone to use for applications built on flytOS.

We're running ROS / Mavros on an Odroid XU4 with a Pixhawk (not Pixhawk2) for a Low Cost, Open Source, Thermal Camera System we're developing.  We also have it running on a Raspberry Pi 2. 

The Camera runs as a ROS Topic, along with a mjpeg web server that streams the images.

Don't know if that helps.

• Developer

I don't know of anyone who has done this yet.  Chris Anderson did point to ROS as being the next big community we want to work closely with but beyond the ROS simulator I haven't seen anyone connect a real physical vehicle running ardupilot with ROS.

• I am running Monocular SLAM (LSD SLAM - ETH)  with ROS on an Odroid U3 talking to an APM 2.6 over serial, transitioning currently to Pixhawk.

http://dronecognition.org/projects/droidworks/

http://dronecognition.org/projects/droidworks/algorithms/lsd-slam/

This is something in my roadmap.

I am going to be posting on the ROS SIG Mirco Air Vehicle group on  google.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ros-sig-mav

Probably makes sense to post to these forums as well

Google Groups
      Google Groups allows you to create and participate in online forums and email-based groups with a rich experience for community conversations.
    • Update: removed my previous comment (noticed this was Solo's group).

AFAIK, there's no proper ROS support for Solo. I'd suggest compiling ROS (from the sources) for the appropriate architecture in an isolated catkin workspace. Then include all the libraries within the workspace and deploy it somewhere so that others can download it and make use of it.

• 3D Robotics

We're using ROS a ton internally at 3DR and will post code and tutorials in a few weeks. 

• I was very excited when I heard that Solo had a linux processor onboard.

However, I haven't heard about the ROS support since this discussion

Is there any hope that I will be able to run ROS "ONBOARD" Solo? or what is the plan for ROS support in Solo?

I feel like there is a great deal of capabilities if ROS is available for developers onboard solo

great!  I don't want to duplicate what you guys are doing.

This reply was deleted.