Hello folks,

so after a nightmarish event of dealing with 3dr, I finally received my gimbal and attempted to install it.

The installation was acceptable, I won't say it went smoothly because, that simply wouldn't be true (the wires definitely could of used more room, or at the very least better placed.

All systems have been updated, including the go pro. I

So upon placing my GoPro Hero3+ Silver (3.02) into the gimbal and powering everything on according to the instructions included by 3dr, I'm asked to update my GoPro firmware, which makes no sense considering I have the latest firmware version (GoPro also confirmed this), and upon dismissing this request, I'm met with a please plug in the hdmi cable screen, thus no video link. Further more upon shutting down the system my GoPro remains powered up, and completely frozen, requiring the lipo to be pulled from the go pro in order to reset it. I have also tried all capture settings (1080p,960,720) (60fps,30fps) (narrow, medium, wide) still causes go pro to crash.

Isn't the gimbal compatible with the Hero3+ silver? It does say in the manual that it in fact does support it fully, however at this point I have a hard time in believing much of what 3dr says.

Now after doing some research I came across a link on 3drpilots.com referring to other users experiencing this same issue, with the response from 3dr claiming it to be a bug that they are working on, and for the time being convert back to the GoPro 2.00 firmware. I myself asked 3dr such, and was simply referred to the online pdf of their included manual, which seems shady to say the least why some users are given a solution and others are simply pushed aside and routed back to the manual. 

So upon downgrading firmware (GoPro highly recommended against this I should note), I does still request the firmware on the GoPro to be updated within the Solo App, however upon unplugging and plugging back in the hdmi cable I now get video signal.

However the issue I'm now faced with is the inability to record onto my GoPro as I cannot access the record button due to the gimbal covering, and I can not control the go pro record/stop video the controller or app, and simply only being able to record directly on to my iOS device, which a subpar at best.

So does is anybody else having similar issues? If so have you discovered a solution?

Thanks in advance.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Submit a support ticket. 3DR has a great support staff.

• It's my understanding that GoPro Hero3+ Silver compatibility is still up in the air (pun intended)...

That said, it has been reported that you can get the video feed back by downgrading your GoPro firmware back to v2.0.

You'll still get the error messages, and you still won't be able to control the GoPro, but at least you should get your feed back.

I just received my gimbal and also have a Hero3+ Silver, so I'm going to have to go through this too... when I get the time.

• @Steven, thanks for your reply,

I did manage to get this done, however without the ability to record directly to the GoPro, its virtually useless.

And upon looking at my gimbal it even has "built for Hero3+ / Hero 4" so it would seem extremely shady to advertise such then once everyone has received their gimbals, change the compatibility requirements.

I found videos were very useful to show tricks that help with the orientation of the wires, so installing wasn't the worst process I've ever experienced.

Downgrading does work though, although I did run into one issue that was never mentioned in the link I followed to regain video, is that without powering on my Gopro manually prior to starting the solo, then I don't immediately get video feed, I need to unplug and replug in the hdmi cable to the go pro, but when I changed batteries and the go pro was left on it came on without requiring the unplug/replug so thats a start I guess.

I hope for 3dr's sake they solve this otherwise all the documentation advertising compatibility with hero3+ may come back to haunt them, as I'm sure many individuals with GoPro Hero3+ Silvers will be completely furious over such falsities, and would seek refund based on their policy. 

Best of luck with your gimbal!

• There is supposed to be a major update coming out very soon that will be addressing these issues. I have seen others that ended up going out and buying the H4 and problem solved.

Fortunately I have the 3+ Black and have had no problems.

This reply was deleted.