Solo Crash on Camera Flash

Flying my Solo this evening when it flew off and crashed across the street after my son took a picture of it while it was hovering in front of him. No warning - just went. Solo was completely unresponsive to control attempts. See the event here: https://youtu.be/m368_A9hIwQ

Uploaded log to 3DR. Really lucky no one was hurt as kids had just been watching. Second flight - battery was around 20% - getting a picture just before going to land it.

Broke 3 blades but no damage to Solo or GoPro.

Doesn't build confidence when it just decides to do its own thing...

3691219431?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This thread shows both a totally new user and and someone I'm assuming is representing 3DR making the same mistake by ignoring the most basic of all safety procedures. It's a great opportunity to show why we don't ever fly around people regardless of how much experience you have. No one is immune to either equipment failure or of making a piloting mistake. Fly safe or risk being responsible for serious injuries. 

• All only a matter of time and percentages. We will probably see the first deaths or more serious injuries soon just due to the numbers of these.

I think I'm coming around to having basic licenses to fly these.....unless another answer to the problem comes up. It's one thing when the injured party is the operator  - completely different when it's the public.

On the other hand, if two kids were playing catch with a softball near a parade, that could also knock someone out so common sense COULD solve this problem. Why is it that people who spend a few bucks feel so entitled? I guess that's testosterone for ya. 

• Any license I have ever seen in the end winds up having to do with control.and money not actually making people proficient. That's not always the case but more often than not I think. We've all seen how people drive. I have a builders license it didn't teach me a thing. It just a piece of paper. I think 3dr should come up with a free app that can teach people how to fly. They could even disable the solo until they pass a basic flying test on the app then they get a code number to enter which then turns solo on. Get the lawyers and the politicians out of the room and let the community come up with the best  [bet never perfect] solution. IMHO

• I somewhat agree. Maybe the drone coalition or AMA or something.

For example, I learned to sail and got an ASA certificate...test was 100 questions and fairly hard. The certificate does mean something, even though the whole process of lessons and test was fairly informal. 

I saw a google test a guy put together for the Phantom 3 and it was great - overdone, though (100+ questions and many of them not needed as proof of ability)...

You have to wonder, though - I guess I trust AMA more than the drone coalition because the DC would be big into sales. As an example, if I were King I don't think I would build "selfie" automated moves into a drone and show people how close to our faces we should fly them, etc.

It's likely that technology will likely end up saving us from ourselves to some degree - because, lord knows, we've failed when given the chance. 

• The FAA test will cost you $150 + you will most likely have to have a sign off that you are OK to take it - figure $20 + you WILL have to study for it so figure study material cost.  $200 easy.

• Drones if you must call them that should not be regulated in one large group.

They should be separated by use commercial/ recreational/ toy

Size, Range, and weight limitations as well as age considerations need to be used.

Keep in mind that we still live in an age where 100+ people die in car crashes on US highways per day and we find that acceptable. Though it is improved since the rate was 25 times higher in the 1940's as the technology was new and new owners came onto new highways.

There is no way any licensing should cost more than an auto license.

• Rates of death with cars and autos are not acceptable - which is exactly why the near future will involve the driverless cars. We need the computers - just as with these toys - to protect people from themselves.

Highways are a scene of total carnage. The only reason we "accept" it is that it is forced upon us at birth. 

IMHO, license for hobby use - if we had one that required training - might be $40 a year or something like that. Maybe included with a membership to the training org.

I think these issues will sort out based on what type of craft - as you say. In 10 years the consumer quad will likely not be dangerous, so they may be flown (with limits) by anyone.  What we call "builds" or "less intelligent hobby and small commercial" UAV's may need the real license. It's even similar with boats - sometimes under 14 feet you don't have to register them, etc. 

So you can ride a Kayak since it's only a danger to you. But if you want to drive a bigger craft you need to both pay (for the sum total of the coast guard, navigation aids, insurance, etc.)...

• I agree.

The FAA says it is concerned with safety - and thus needs to regulate commercial use.  But wait, any moron can go to Best Buy and fly one and take pics with it...but if he decides to sell his pic, then he is somehow no longer safer than he just was?  Right.  I know I am preaching to the choir here - it just escapes all logic.

• Exactly because if he sells a picture now there is money and they want some. It has little to do with safety it seems like it's always politics and money.

This reply was deleted.