Waiting for GPS - Solo won't fly

Solo waiting on GPS for hours. Never able to lock on so no flying. Solo requires GPS signal to fly even when in the Android app under advanced you set "Enable Advanced Flight Modes" which supposedly allows "fly without GPS." 

I have done a factory reset - held down power and fly, re-paired controller and Solo, re-updated software but no luck. 

As you can see from the pic below a GPS signal fix was available on tablet:

3691213356?profile=original

In the picture below you can see the yellow icon at bottom left of screen which indicates "Waiting for GPS..." 

3691213191?profile=original

Has anyone else been able to solve this issue?

Disappointed 3DR would make me wait till Saturday when they are closed to download Android app in order to update to be able to fly. Received Solo on June 3 had to wait till June 6 to update and now have to wait till June 8 to speak with tech support. Odd they couldn't ship with updated working firmware.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Ken. I was wondering something and your about the only person I know who has a solo to ask. I fly from my boat and hand launch and retrieve. Can you lift the solo with one hand on one of the landing arms or does it seem too frail like it would bend or break? It's one of those things it's hard to know until you have one in your hand and I don't . Anyway I appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks. 

• 3D Robotics

Hi Richard,

I'm curious to hear more about your use case for flying from a boat– can I chat with you about it? If you're up for it, please send me an email at kelsey@3drobotics.com

Thanks!

Kelsey

• Thanks Kelsey I sent you an email. Looking forward to a solution :]

• Hi Richard,

The legs are strong enough to do that but with the spinning blades so close I would be worried of serious injury to a hand especially if a wave decided to come by at the same time. Additionally you have to make sure Solo is level as you get a warning when it is on that it needs to be level to takeoff

But to answer your question -- yes, it can be done. Here's a picture:

3702571645?profile=original

Cheers,

Ken

• ps I'm jealous ha

• Thanks Ken!

• That's a bummer. Hope you can get it going. I've got confidence in 3DR support. Still waiting for mine to come in. Good luck.
    • The cutouts on the frame require it to be mounted that way. Actually it is convenient for accessing power button on camera.
      Cheers,
      Ken
    • 3D Robotics

Hey Ken, 

That is very strange. All our systems are checked thoroughly before they leave the factory and we haven't seen anything quite like this... Hmm! Sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue.

Sometimes, the system will report 0 sats and 0.0 HDOP for awhile while GPS is acquiring lock, so that doesn't necessarily mean the HW is defective. 

We'd like to help over the weekend, if possible. 

First, did you submit a support ticket via the app? If we can take a look at the logs, that might help us figure out what is going on.

BTW - I'm the chief product officer over at 3DR. Nice to meet you - 

• Hi Jeevan,

I received a confirmation the log was uploaded:

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting 3D Robotics Help Desk. We are experiencing a high volume of tickets at this time. A customer representative will get back to you in within 1-3 business days.We apologize for the inconvenience.

Cheers,

The 3DR Support Team

This reply was deleted.