Yes or no to Solo

So do I buy a new solo? Would love to hear from all you new owners of Solos your un bias opinions on this quad.

Thank you!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Solo App -> Solo Flight school -> First Flight.  At the 2 minute mark, Colin Guinn has Solo in hover and says Solo will stay within a 6 foot bubble.  I take this to mean +/- 3 feet in the X, Y, Z position.

• Hi Craig,

That observation is based mainly on "low" hovering, say, 10 feet off the ground. The RTF Iris and Solo compared with an RTF Phantom. This was in the same spot in my yard with trees roughly 50 feet away and my house about 20 feet away, in calm conditions. The Phantom just seems to sit more still, drifting probably 1" in any direction. Under the same conditions, the Solo and Iris both seem to drift around a bit more, around 10 inches. I suspect it's just due to GPS. And that is not to say that the Phantom hasn't had problems with GPS drift. It definitely does, and does the same sort of insane darting around that my Iris or Solo will. But for some reason, I've always had better results piloting the Phantom around in tight spaces, navigating between trees, landing on my deck table, things like that. It just seems easier to "place" in those conditions than the others, and its tendency to sit still in LGOS seems to contribute to that.

Up higher, there doesn't appear to be much difference. I base *that* observation on the output from recorded video, since 100 ft. is too high for me to see any drift.

I will say that with the new firmware, the Solo seems really locked down. It stops quickly in LGOS, and does not move at all when I'm flying in open space. I've only flown it a couple of times since the update, but it seems as locked down as the Phantom. I wish I had saved the Solo's params from the last version so I could diff them with the new ones to see what's been changed.

Kelly

• Developer

You should probably expand your sample set of vehicles to include other examples of Pixhawk powered vehicles before comparing APM to DJI.

• That's a good point. The extent of my PH experience is 3DR, so I'm sure that's a factor.

• If I can interject here, I have been flying my solo for a week now without a hitch. The landing part is the best, I can grease that thing in as slowly and accurately as possibly, no wobble, no up and down or drift. Much easier than I can with my P2. In fact, that's what I don't like about the P2. It's narrow, tall gear, makes it top heavy. I have tipped it a couple of times and ended up burning out an ESC.
    • The very first time I flew my Phantom, I landed in grass and it immediately flipped over. I thought that was kind of stupid, so I made a pair of PEX "skids" that basically doubled their length. It looked kind of ghetto, but it definitely helped with landings.

• My bottom line, no.

Long story short, when Solo works properly it is a great platform.

Unfortunately, about 50% of the time my Sole has problems acquiring proper GPS signal.  It is hit and miss, sometimes GPS is acquired in a minute and sometimes I can chew up 15% of the battery waiting for GPS.   

From reading other posts, it appears that I am not the only one having GPS issues.

Within the past week, I have encountered 2 fly away incidents.  The first one Solo flew into a tree and it did not do much damage.  In the second fly away, I enabled automatic take off and Solo flew up to 10 feet and hovered, I then think I hit the fly button and Solo took off and flew straight into the side of my house.  Video at https://youtu.be/EH8z57usAsA  Solo DOES NOT go into crash mode when it crashes, such as my Y6  does.  IMHO, not going into crash mode and shutting the motors down is a huge issue.  Solo can do a lot of damage with spinning props while you are trying to hit A+B + Pause.

Which leads to the last issue, there are no spare parts!!  WTH?  I am grounded because I cannot get spare props.

I did submit a trouble ticket to 3dr.  I will see how they respond.

• Wow! That almost crashed into you....pretty dangerous.
      The Inspire doesn't come without flyways...http://youtu.be/5wYVwp_hRk8
      http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kqzkGYOZr3o
    • My Iris had trouble locking on to sats..and one night it must have been flying on the minimum # of sats, all of a sudden it started a very fast decent. Bounced off the grass and flipped. Really have not any problems with the x8, but have not made it do any autonomous flights. Hopefully there will be an firmware upgrade for your problem. but what scares me is most flight controllers cant take crashes. Either it be a naza or pixhawk. Guys that keep crashing are shortening the life of the controller which is very scary not knowing when a catastrophic failure will occur. I guess a pilot has to make sure they are not flying around people or property.

Watched a video on this forum of a kid that when a flash from a camera went off it flew away into the street. Maybe a coincident,, maybe not. It looked identical to your last flyaway!

Anyway I feel your pain and I hope you can get up and flying soon! I just ordered 35.00 worth of parts for my x8 and will see how long it will take 3dr to ship.  

• Yes.  Buy the Solo.

Its great as is, but when you start flying it with Tower and the Solo app running at the same time, it is really great.  One minute you are running a standard Tower mission, the next you are using the Solo app to do a Cable Cam, the next your using Tower again to do a structure scan.  The ability to use both apps at the same time is really fun and powerful.  There is just nothing like it, including all the DJI Phantoms and even the Inspire.

This reply was deleted.