I'm working on my FAA 333 exemption request, and I'm thinking about the part where it typically says something like:

We are petitioning for exemption to enable AUAV to operate a series of UAS platforms that have been previously approved by exemption, namely:

3DRobotics IRIS+ - Exemption 11419

I could build my own to better suit what I want to do, but this makes me think I couldn't use a self-built UAV for commercial purposes. Is there any way around that?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Why not include your own design? You will have a little more paperwork to provide. Also if you craft is similar to something else state it in your application. Add everything under the sun that is already approved. Right now its taking 5 to 6 months form approval so get started now.

• One thing you have to remember you are not applying for certificate of airworthiness (COA). You are applying for an exemption from the rules of manned aircraft. They are basically verifying that your craft will be under 55 lbs. A year ago all craft were the first ones to get approval sight unseen. I thought along the lines you are when I applied for our 333 exemption and applied for a single craft. I wished I had included many other airframes. Amendments take as long as original exemption requests. Apply for everything at once and if they come back asking for more information than you can provide just have them pull that part out of your exemption.

• True, but why would they approve my device sight unseen? Maybe the best thing is to do the initial application for already approved UAVs like you said (one of which I already own) and then apply with an amendment for anything I build. That way it won't derail my initial exemption, and I'll have a greater force of precedence for anything additional.

This reply was deleted.