Convert/import a vector and use it as path

Hi - a quick question. We use our Phantom 4 for light painting, flying manual shapes and paths on long exposures. Is there a way to import a shape in vector, or other format and place this shape into UGCS and have it add waypoints and therefore fly that shape perfectly? I have tried drawing shapes manually and UGCS adds waypoints to the drawn path but wondered if I could import a perfect shape for UGCS to add waypoints to? Also, when I view/position the map horizontally and then try and manually draw a shape, UGCS places that shape flat on the surface and not "standing up" at 90 degress which is what I wanted. Thanks! :)3691316892?profile=original3691317148?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Oh yes Wookong and Naza, they do have less waypoints, I knew that before! Sorry I am being dumb. I will follow what you say with creating the building in SketchUp and see what happens. Thanks again!

• OK, when you will prepare model in SketchUp please note that our building import feature supports only KMZ import with embedded COLLADA 3D models. This means that KMZ (that is actually a ZIP archive with .kmz extension) file must contain one or several .dae files and one .kml file inside. KML file must reference those DAE files. 
    Currently we do not support 3D models implemented as a part of KML file (KML notation only).

Regarding Wookong and Naza - they have even stronger limitations. 

Wookong-M: 50 waypoints

Naza-M V2 (including Phantom 2): 16 waypoints

• Thanks that's a great idea with SketchUp I will try that today. I will also try and get this SVG to only vectors and send back to you. With regards to the Phantom 4 max waypoints, we also have some large Wookong Octos and Naza quads we built, all DJI though...Thanks so much for your assistance.

• If you need only horizontal figures it will be quite easy. UgCS can import GeoTiff as map overlay.

But for vertical profile it's more complicated. I can propose only to make fake "flat" building using SketchUp for example and put template image on the wall. Later import this building in UgCS and use picture on the wall as sample.

Last possibility - if you can rebuild your SVG as series of vectors (without arcs and curves) I can write simple converter to UgCS route, but not today :-) If we will go this way please note that Phantom is limited to 99 waypoints.

• I suppose even importing & overlaying a PNG image with transparent background could be used as a manual template for "tracing" waypoints as long as it could be moved around in 3D space and therefore placed properly over the map for tracing.

• Unfortunately I cannot program :(. I would love to experiment if I could get the even the SVG visible/overlaid and moveable in UGCS and then add waypoints manually to the path (just using the shape as a template) and manipulate the turn rules etc until I get something that looks close to the image. Maybe I sent you an over complex example! Even a perfect circle or square or any other shape would be progress I suppose. My dream is to see a logo or some text/font characters perfectly (or closely!) reproduced with a light painting. Exciting! I am happy to test anything you have ideas for etc. We are one of VERY FEW (less than 3%) companies in the UK that can offer night missions legally/commercially so this really excites me Thanks!

Alexey Dobrovolskiy said:

SVG file can be parsed easily, but I can't imagine what to do next.
    Your sample contains arcs and Bezier curves. May be if we will generate lot of waypoints for all trajectory and set "Adaptive bank turn" turn type for all waypoints you will get what you want. WYSIWYG :-). May be not. It requires lot of experiments.
    Do you know how to program on JScript? I can help to write such converter.

• SVG file can be parsed easily, but I can't imagine what to do next.
    Your sample contains arcs and Bezier curves. May be if we will generate lot of waypoints for all trajectory and set "Adaptive bank turn" turn type for all waypoints you will get what you want. WYSIWYG :-). May be not. It requires lot of experiments.
    Do you know how to program on JScript? I can help to write such converter.

• Here is the EPS file.

E _logo.eps

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702298433?profile=original
  • Hi Alexey - I have attached an SVG file to this post of a letter E we would like to paint. Is this format ok for you? If not tell me what would be best and I will try and export that. I currently have this logo as an EPS file in Illustrator which I have also attached. Thank you! :)

Yes, could you send me example of file?

E _logo.svg

• Hi Alexey - thanks for your fast answer! Glad you like the pics! We want to move it a stage further with the use of perfect shapes and even company logos and light paint them in this way but at 90 degress to the ground. In UGCS I know I can pull up the waypoints altitude but this is different to what we want to achieve.  When you say "Could you imagine how will look your "vector file"?" do you mean you would like an example of what I mean?

Hi,

nice pictures! 

It's possible to write some kind of converter like this - https://github.com/ugcs/converters.

Could you imagine how will look your "vector file"?

BTW, in UgCS you can select waypoint and pull up it to the desired altitude.

3702298622?profile=original

This reply was deleted.