USB direct connect Pixhawk <-> ODroid XU3

I found this incredibly simple way to connect oDroid XU3 to Pixhawk. Business as usual for the TCP over 4G part. @Bernt: TCP is 100% OK; and seems fast; UDP is work in progress, but I really can't find why my XU3 shouldn't support a software that can handle it. (any suggestions?).

1) Take a USB cable and plug in both devices like shown here:

4gmetry-connection.jpg

2) Access to your Odroid XU3 and type:

dmesg | grep tty  (#identify pixhawk)

mavproxy.py --master=/dev/ttyACM0 --baudrate 57600 --aircraft 4GmetryCopter

3) Done.  I'm updating 4gmetry.com right now, removing the converter, that's not necessary any more.

4gmetry-drone-monitor.jpg
Suggestions, improvements and critics are welcome, as usual!
S.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, it has been a while any development on connecting pixhawk in a better way than USB ->ttl or usb-usb(technically pix internal ttl)? Best I see

Need to establish control video link from mission planner on phone and computer. Any suggestion what approach to take for simple connection over internet? I was going with RP3 but ODroid-C2 seems more powerful and yet doesn't use much amps.

Bill Bonney said:

I do suggest using Telemetry 2 to a UART on the ODROID, but not using an FTDI cable, but UART0 direct to the ODROID IO port*. You can see the connection for the IO Port on the ODROID U3 in the picture on this page. http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=g13874... and link (The XU3 has the same option on the 30pin header link)

You will need a level convertor like this one. see for wiring example https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/txb0104-level-shifter-hookup-g...

The ODROID needs 1.8V = VDD_IO, and on the PIXHAWK you can use 5V from the serial port (they are 5V signal tolerant, or you can use 3.3v from from the Spektrum Radio connector)

The advantage of this is that you avoid using a USB stack on the ODROID or the PIXHAWK so less complexity in software stacks, less complexity in mechanics, without large USB connectors that can work loose easier.

This does still leave you with a USB connection for 4G dongle. It would also be nice to have that on a SPI or other high speed connection like the CC3000 WiFi module.

It's not that you cannot use the USB connections, as you say, they are simple to setup, but it's good to keep in mind there are other options that have advantages, and disadvantages.

Hope that helps :)

• Developer
    You would have a more robust and reliable connection using the serial port connection (not USB or Ethernet) between the odroid and the Pixhawk, as it is much simpler software and hardware wise. USB connections are not good in flight.
    • Ok, let's update: 4gmetry is a dynamic document, and it's meant to evolve as feedbacks arrive. Also Stephen Gloor pointed me in this direction. Do you suggest Telemetry2 to UART?

• Developer

I do suggest using Telemetry 2 to a UART on the ODROID, but not using an FTDI cable, but UART0 direct to the ODROID IO port*. You can see the connection for the IO Port on the ODROID U3 in the picture on this page. http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=g13874... and link (The XU3 has the same option on the 30pin header link)

You will need a level convertor like this one. see for wiring example https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/txb0104-level-shifter-hookup-g...

The ODROID needs 1.8V = VDD_IO, and on the PIXHAWK you can use 5V from the serial port (they are 5V signal tolerant, or you can use 3.3v from from the Spektrum Radio connector)

The advantage of this is that you avoid using a USB stack on the ODROID or the PIXHAWK so less complexity in software stacks, less complexity in mechanics, without large USB connectors that can work loose easier.

This does still leave you with a USB connection for 4G dongle. It would also be nice to have that on a SPI or other high speed connection like the CC3000 WiFi module.

It's not that you cannot use the USB connections, as you say, they are simple to setup, but it's good to keep in mind there are other options that have advantages, and disadvantages.

Hope that helps :)

This reply was deleted.