Motor Got Ripped Out In Mid Flight

Hi

Maybe somebody can give me some advise please. I have the Talon with the extended wings and I must admit I have fallen in love with this Plane! It flies very stable and slow which is ideal for my Aerial Survey Mapping Projects.

This all ended this morning, when sending it on a Mission, the motor ripped the entire section off from the back of the Plane and needless to same, the Talon kissed Mother Earth! There goes my Love Life!

It was the standard Motor size that get supplied by the Company in China. Any ideas?

I am going to buy a new one and need some advise to cover the Body for some extra strength and better surface finish.

Regards

Michael

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey Mike,

On another subject......

Can I get your config files for your Talon?  Pretty Pretty PLEASE??

ab.audiovideo@yahoo.com

• I Agree.  It will simply fall from the sky in one piece...

• I had this happen with a Mini Talon with landing gear. I had a prop strike happen upon take off that caused some serious vibration at a certain motor RPM. Eventually the vibration jiggled the motor screws loose and the whole thing came off. In my case the prop destroyed half the control surfaces and took chunks off the back of the plane. I was lucky because I shut the motor down before the wires pulled from the ESC. I was able to land with the motor dangling off the back. 

• Michael,

Sounds like too much torque output demand by the ESC?  Wow... That sucks.

Do you have any postmortem pictures.  Would like to see if there is a pattern to the breakup.  And what are you using for autopilot?

ab.audiovideo@yahoo.com 

• Hi Adam

I am using Pixhawk. There is no issue with the Autopilot on the Talon..it flies like a dream.

Regards

Michael

• Michael,

I had an issue with the PixHawk on a hexa-copter a while ago.  The pixhawk was demanding the ESC to accelerate too quickly and causing the 400 KV motors to skip a cog and motor stall.  Massive amounts of torque and current sensed by the logs.  Not kept up on the pixhawk firmware updates to see if this had been resolved.  We found a work around in the Motor speed response settings.  Only other option was a programmable ESC. 

• Wow, the only way that could have happened, is that the prop lost a blade, and the resulting vibration tore the motor out.

The Talon is strong enough, if constructed properly........

Give us some pictures, might pick up something.

• Hi Gustav

Have you perhaps replaced the piece of Plywood at the back where the Talon lands on? After a couple of landings, the Plywood is splintering to pieces! With what do you suggest can this be replaced with? Please bear in mind that our landings are on rough terrain out in the field in Africa!

Another question....is there anything I can cover the Talon body with (except Fibre) to give the Surface a more "Solid" look?

Regards

Michael

• Mine too !

I caught it early on, soaked the wood with thin CA, pried away some of the foam at the root of the skid, and then worked some thin epoxy into the area.

If there is a largish area of wood left, some printed circuit board material stuck on both sides might to the trick.

Or hack a wheel type fitting there ?

Covering will add to the weight, but I saw some nice results on Wessie's X8, with iron on type normal rc covering material.

• Hi

Herewith the Photos.

Regards

Michael

This reply was deleted.