Motor Got Ripped Out In Mid Flight

Hi

Maybe somebody can give me some advise please. I have the Talon with the extended wings and I must admit I have fallen in love with this Plane! It flies very stable and slow which is ideal for my Aerial Survey Mapping Projects.

This all ended this morning, when sending it on a Mission, the motor ripped the entire section off from the back of the Plane and needless to same, the Talon kissed Mother Earth! There goes my Love Life!

It was the standard Motor size that get supplied by the Company in China. Any ideas?

I am going to buy a new one and need some advise to cover the Body for some extra strength and better surface finish.

Regards

Michael

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Looks like the Photos did not load.

IMG_1335.JPG

• Another Photo.

IMG_1334.JPG

• I agree with Adam, the motor plate came loose, probably from vibration, and then spun.

Epoxy does not grip on EPO.

I've never had a POR joint come loose.

Show us the prop tips ?

• Hi Gustav

The Motor plus the props are lying somewhere in Botswana in the Bush...we never managed to find it, even using our Log files!

Last question....I am going to order another Frame from Christiaan, but with what can I cover the body to make it look "Nicer"? Time is a factor here!

Regards

Michael

• Michael,

That looks like the motor plate vibrated loose over time.  When it came loose, the screws going into the foam torqued opposite of the rotation.   The motor plate spun in its groove breaking the cowling off as a result.  

Im going to mod mine with slots the size of popsicle sticks.  Insert a heated rectangle rod to match the hole size and depth into the foam, and glue the popsicle sticks into the foam to disperse the vibrations and torque through the airframe.

This should keep the weight down and do the trick.  

• Another Photo

• Loading Photos in Botswana seems to be a problem! Lets try again!

• Photo

IMG_1333.JPG

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702885780?profile=original
    • Hi All

Thanks for coming up back to me. I am busy taking Photos.

Another question....the glue we used does not work...we used 20 minute Epoxy....UHU was used on the 2 main body parts......is there any surface treatment to be done before gluing the parts together?

Regards

Michael

• Ah, maybe that was part of the problem, using epoxy.

I only use UHU POR.

Bit of a pain to use on large surfaces I admit.......

This reply was deleted.