0 3D Robotics ArduPilot home page Posted by Chris Anderson on November 30, 2008 at 12:00pm [This home page has moved. It's now here] E-mail me when people leave their comments – Follow
"Gives me confidence to complete the assembly of my Ardupilot, attach the Shield board and GPS and then try an upload and see what happens."
the locosys GPS can't be plugged when you upload the code, because of it's design, it's pulling the RX and TX line to low when unpowered making again USART conflic.
and Reto you need the Z sensor to use the 2.2 but you probably can modify it to suit your needs!
i'm in your case (locosys+shield+no Zsensor yet)
I went very rapidly through the code and it seems the Z-sensor is using a value condition, so maybe it makes only attitude corrections if the XY get into extreme differential values. But as I said I only ran through that code part and could be wrong. Maybe try to see if there's a reaction when the plane is tilted 90 degrees sideways or completely nose down, or inverted. Without the Z sensor in the loop, the inverted flight should be stabilized as in normal attitude; in inverted attitude, the Z reading should invert XY differential readings to correct the inversion (well, this is what I imagine it could do, but my comprehension could be inverted... ;-)
Gives me confidence to complete the assembly of my Ardupilot, attach the Shield board and GPS and then try an upload and see what happens.
Powered the board separately, then loaded new code version and set up basic settings in "Ardupilot.h" file in the Arduino library folder. Then compiled the code in Arduino 015. Then uploaded the code to AP using the shield FTDI connector as in the manual with my Sparkfun FTDI Basic breakout board.
Result is following: EVERYTHING RUNS JUST FINE !
I got my GPS fix, serial monitoring of ArduPilot Tx is ok too. The barometric pressure sensor seems working ok (the ASP value in the monitoring is increasing when I shut the bottom air intake with my finger and blow toward the top intake, and decreases when doing the contrary (shutting top and blowing towards the bottom intake).
I tried loading the Groundstation but did not get it to work until now when using the serial monitoring data flow on my com6 port for now. I'll try harder tomorrow and will include the Xbees in the process.
Well, I'm sorry for all of you who had less chance with these setup steps. Don't be mad at Jordi or Chris, go on trying hard, and eventually also use your multimeter to cross check your solder points. Good luck to you all, I cross fingers for you guys (can't do much more to help).