ArduVTOL - Wingcopter - Flight Report Nr.1

In order to keep you guys updated on the project's development, I'm happy to present our first flight report!

Andy and his "tripod mop"; Jonathan conducting pre-flight-tests.

The weather conditions were decent: not all that much wind, clear sight and no random short-lived rainfalls.

As we weren't exactly convinced of last video's quality (shaky camera syndrome anyone?), we decided that this had to change. Voilà, enter the floor mop. Although rather unconventional, it makes for a surprisingly useful tripod!

The flight itself was as we had hoped: the wingcopter responded well, the handling was easy.


During the first section the tilt-angle was set at 90 degrees. In the second one we flew with a 45 degree angle. Both configurations performed as expected and without any problems. 

Some of you might have noticed a difference in the tilt-angles between the two arms in the latter stages. The reason was one of the nuts deciding to bail, resulting in one of the arms not being fully fixed anymore. We only noticed after the flight though, apparently someone up there seems to like the project as well xD

Slight disbelief, that was a close one! Memo to selfs: Better fix them with some glue. 


In order to provide a close-up look at the tilting mechanism in action, we made another video.


We hope your enjoyed our little report, we are planning to do them regularly from now on. Feel free to tell us if you liked this one and if you have any suggestions regarding improvements.



Andy and Jonathan


More information on

Views: 4804

Comment by jim C. on May 17, 2013 at 8:53am

jonathan than good, this is great, congratulations on the great work, expect more news of your project.

use APM 2.5?

Comment by Jonathan Hesselbarth on May 17, 2013 at 9:02am

Hi jim C, thank you! Actually we use the first APM1.0. But we plan to test the AMP2.5 with our Code soon.

Comment by Robert Krogh (hooks) on May 17, 2013 at 9:52am
Will you share the code? Or is it "closed code".
Comment by Michael on May 17, 2013 at 10:11am

Will this eventually be a commercial product?  If it comes apart easily, then it's exactly what I'm looking for.  Outstanding work!

Comment by Jason Short on May 17, 2013 at 10:14am


Comment by Vikrant on May 17, 2013 at 10:43am

Very nice work indeed!

Does the glider mode give you more flight time than just quad hover?

Comment by Craig Elder on May 17, 2013 at 11:02am


Comment by Daniel Chapelat on May 17, 2013 at 12:07pm


Le projet est-il open source ou commercial?

est -il possible d'obtenir  les plans et le Firmware pour tester ?

super boulot

cordialement daniel

Comment by Flying Monkey on May 17, 2013 at 12:23pm

That's pretty cool!!

Comment by Jonathan Hesselbarth on May 17, 2013 at 12:48pm

We're thinking about making the code open source. Maybe its even gonna get integrated into the actual Ardupilot software. At the moment, the basic plan is to provide the platform so everyone can extend it individually.

Concerning the flight time in airplane mode, (theoretically speaking) it should be vastly longer than in hover mode. In order to get some benchmark times, we are currently planing a test flight.

@Daniel, salut!

Tous les constructions sont seulement dessiné par CAD pour le moment, mais il y a un kit fabriqué disponible.


You need to be a member of DIY Drones to add comments!

Join DIY Drones

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service