It´s been two months since we posted our first flight report; time for an update!
Here's what we've been up to:
As you may have seen on Chris Anderson's Blog, our Wingcopter now uses the APM2.5. The agility and stability seems much better compared to the old APM1.0.
Above is a video of one of the longer flights, including some maneuvers:
When there´s no wind, the wingcopter performs just as expected/commanded. However, in turbulent air the flap's control commands are still slightly too extreme. It wobbles a little bit. In order to solve this problem, we'll have to play with our PID Parameters again.
In last report's comment section, there where some question concerning flight maneuvers. As a result, we tried out to tail sitting and landing as a conventional plan.
Tail sitting is possible, but it´s not as easy as we initially thought it would be.
We tried to land in "conventional plane mode" at the end of this video
and this one:
slightly harder landing than intended ;)
We also tested the maximum payload. After a couple of increases, we tried a 636g beer bottle
At this level of payload, the plane is harder to control, especially if there's a certain amount of wind (like in the video). So far, we would prefer up to 400g of payload, as the plane's behavior changes very little compared to flights without any payload.
We hope your enjoyed our little report.
Andy and Jonathan
PS: our wingcopter is now available on our website!