I have designed my own flying wing and had it cut from flyingfoam. I would love the input of some of the members of DIYDRONES. The span is 60", I chose an MH60 airfoil and added about 2 deg washout. I cutout the motor mount and servo mounts on my CNC router. I'm turning an 850kv motor rated at something like 100w with a 10x4.7. (I'm gonna burn it out at this rate, but oh well, it was cheap.) Flies great on 3 cells. Its a rocket ship on 4S.
I've found the CG to be super finicky, only about a .375" range that it flies acceptable in, at about 15% MAC. Notice in the picture I running a monster 5Ah 3s. This is what I had laying around, I think its a little to big. I think a 2Ah 3S pack would be better weight wise. Because its nose heavy I have huge control throws. If I'm not careful when I get slow and start turning its easy to find myself in a semi-stalled over banking situation. The only way to break that is to let up on the back pressure and apply a lot of opposite aileron. It does have a tendency to spin if I sit on the elevator full aft. I think this is because I have insufficient washout and giant elevons at the tips to compensate for the CG.
Hand launching is a breeze, just give it a little throw while holding onto the battery pack. Landing is an easy affair. It will fly inverted, rolls are not dialed in yet, still messing with differential.
I would love anyones input on the stall characteristics or anything else regarding this bird When I've learned what I can from this I am going to order up a new set of cores with whatever changes I think are necessary, probably more washout, and maybe tips cut with a little toe in.
Eventually I want to put my Ardupilot 2.5 recessed into the foam with an FPV setup. Just ordered my goggles!
Anyone interested in having me cut them anything custom on my CNC router, I've got a 24"x36" CNC router setup. I am tooled mostly for composites like carbon fiber and G10/FR4, but can cut most anything. I'd love to help out the community here with a reasonable CNC service. Send me a PM.
I just glued the servo mount down with thick CA. My z-bend sucks, I know. The control horn goes all the way through the elevon and is glued in with CA.