For my FPV projects I wanted a system that is easy to install in different vehicles. I always disliked that the FPV control of PAN/TILT systems used additional channels of my primary rc tx.
So I decided to build and integrated system that works independently from the RC and/or UAV setup. It should have and own receiver for controlling at least 2 cameras, a video downlink and a OSD controller for telemetry data. The ground unit had to be compact like a RC TX.
Actually I finished the system and I can control 2 cameras. One is a classic pan/tilt front camera with a GO Pro HD Hero live feed that can be moved by the head-tracker or by joystick. The second camera is a ripped CCTV with 30x optical zoom as belly/dome camera. I’m actually working on the stabilization of that one. I test the system with an old RC car using as receiver the remote unit itself.
The result is following:
- 5.8Ghz Video receiver
- 8 ch 2.4Ghz Corona RC TX DIY Module
- Eagle Tree Diversity ground station
- Arduino duemilanove with LCD to control the 2.4Ghz TX module
- Arduino mini to encode the ppm signal from a GY-1000 HK head-tracker encoding it again into a new ppm stream for the 2.4Ghz TX module.
- Fat Shark video goggles
- 3” LCD monitor
- Internal 11.1V Li-Po or external 12V power supply
- Joysticks from an old walkera radio
- Still open: Tripod with 5.8 GHz patch antenna with tracking system
Getting the ppm decoder was really hard. Most examples didn't worked at all. I mainly had to work with interrupts, but sending the head tracking position data to the primary arduino was really hairy. I finally generated analog signals, added a filter to make them "real" dc and read them with the main arduino.
- 200mW 5.8GHz Video Transmitter
- 2.4 GHz Corona 8Ch receiver
- 2Ch Video switch (on Ch7)
- Eagle Tree OSD pro
- Eagle Tree eLogger V4
- HK 6A 5V ESC
The unit is quiet heavy. I guess at least 180g. But I don’t use it on small vehicles. I overall satisfied because now I can install an FPV system on planes and helicopters of friends and act as “passenger”. I never ever fly in FPV mode: I have always a pilot buddy or I’m the pilot and my buddy the passenger.