Hi all again,
Following my first blog post on DIYDrones few people have asked what Pigeon Post is and why I'm posting here.
- Mail packages from the customer not a post box.
- Deliver to a person not a building or post code.
- Delivery time is set specifically or dictated by urgency and distance not First and Second Class.
- Price is flexible depending on demand and supply.
- Uses the existing untapped delivery capacity of public and private vehicles for medium and long distance deliveries.
- Cut the costs of delivering in rural areas where costs are presently the highest.
The strategy we are exploring at the moment is to use Quadcopters and internet protocol style packet switching concepts to move packages from customer to customer.
The project is slow launching this week as I'll be pitching the idea at Manchester Social Media Cafe and to The Next Web next week. I'm looking for feedback at the moment, though not just "The technology isn't ready yet" as I've already answered that one over on the blog. If you have any suggestions or questions about possible problems, solutions to those problems, or nice things to say in general, please comment here or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow what's happening on twitter as well.
If you would like to join the project I'm looking for people who can volunteer some knowledge, time and expertise on autonomous quadcopters and 3D prototyping. I'm also looking for someone with a couple of spare copters laying around to make concept video showing how the system would/could work once it's up and running. I'm going to bootstrap the project for a while until I have a comprehensive enough proposal and some video or animations before raising funding to accelerate the research stage.