My Dynam Hawk Sky power plant upgrade>>>>>>>>

I recently have had very bad luck with my dynam hawk sky as you can see by the amount of gorilla glue and duct tape. So far I have sliced the wing off by running into a field goal post at a football field, hit trees twice, and ran it full speed onto the top of the roof of my local high school...but glue and tape can solve anything :)...with the extra weight from the tape and the glue I decided to upgrade to two 400 speed microjet v3 motors and 2 20amp ESC's to power this beast. I hot glued the wooden adapter to the wings and it holds up just fine. I also am going to be running 3 blade 6 by 4 props to get a clean crisp sound. Tomorrow I will testing this setup and I hope it works out well

Views: 1411


3D Robotics
Comment by Chris Anderson on July 11, 2010 at 7:17am
Wow. Just wow. How's your CG?

Moderator
Comment by Nathaniel Caner on July 11, 2010 at 10:11am
I take it you feel the need...the need for speed?? I think all that foam is weighing you down!

Keep flying
Comment by Taylor Cox on July 11, 2010 at 11:38am
@Chris.... My CG is about 2 inches back from the front of the wing. I am assuming that the CG is supposed to be somewhere around there? But honestly, I have no idea where it is supposed to be :)

And one more question. Should I get counter rotating props because if I don't , the plane will want to pull to one side? If so, where is a good place to buy counter rotating props?

3D Robotics
Comment by Chris Anderson on July 11, 2010 at 11:49am
Your original instructions should show the proper CG. But 2" back sounds about right. You do indeed want a counter rotating prop. Just get a pusher for the same size as your puller and that should do it.
Comment by Taylor Cox on July 11, 2010 at 12:16pm
Is the pull going to be bad enough to where I can't fly it at all? Or should I be ok?

Developer
Comment by John Arne Birkeland on July 11, 2010 at 2:16pm
The pull will change depending on how much throttle you apply, but you might be able to mix it out with a throttle -> aileron mix.
Comment by Taylor Cox on July 11, 2010 at 2:25pm
I just flew it about an hour ago...and holy crap....it accelerates like a rocket. At only about half throttle I was hitting 200 feet in about 5 seconds. Most of the flying was around quarter stick. I didn't notice too much pull in either direction but there was alot of wind with gusts. I made a little bit of a crash landing and broke a prop. But other than that, the flight was pretty successful with this power arrangement. I ordered a 8 by 4 by 3 prop and a counter rotating prop to match it. We'll see how that goes once they arrive. I think it's going to have a nice clean sound.
Comment by Steve on July 13, 2010 at 9:23am
I've got the exact same plane, and I must say those cracks around the cockpit look pretty familiar ;-)

It's good to see that it'll still fly after a considerable amount of.. modification. I also wanted to ask you, did you ever plan on installing an AP in your Dynam?
Comment by Taylor Cox on July 13, 2010 at 12:05pm
@Steve. I have all of the equipment and hardware and software for AP flight and I have had it up and running with simulations. But I'm still a little reluctant to put all the expensive electronics in the plane when I'm still crashing pretty frequently. It doesn't help that I live on the coast of washington state..which equals tons of wind and rain...all the time. I am still using the old arduPilot regular board and imu.

Comment

You need to be a member of DIY Drones to add comments!

Join DIY Drones

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service