Thanks to Hooks for turning us on to the new Skywalker foam UAV platform. Mine just arrived and based on a quick inspection, I'm pretty sure this is the one for me! Everything about is totally optimized for a UAV, from the payload capacity to transportability. I'm blown away by how thoughtfully designed this one is.
It's got it all:
- The durability of foam with all the interior room of balsa
- Payload area right under the CG, so you don't have to worry about balance issues
- Hand launchable, but still can carry pounds of payload
- Breaks down easily for transport
- Ailerons and optional flaps
- Pusher, high-wing configuration, with servos outside to save room inside
- Super tough EPO material
- Easy to get to equipment with big bay doors on both sides
- External mounting spots on rear fuselage for wireless transmitters (keeps them away from other electronics)
Here's a shot of a prototype being flown by the creators:
Rather than give it a full review (I haven't flow it yet), I'll just give first impressions in pictures.