UAV swarm, anticollision - faa - detect-and-avoid

Since UAV activity is largely constrained by the see-and-avoid issues;I though it would be appropriate to propose a solution which is compatible for every form of flight from gnat-weight to jumbojets. I've worked this out is a simulator - but here is the jist:This requires only a single frequency and very short blips.1. Every plane determines it's location and vector by GPS.2. Then it transmits this information using one short blip every second or so.a. The blip timing is based on current GPS location, so that the blips cannot interfere, and their location in Timespace tells us where they are coming from. Since GPS provides a very accurate, shared time base. So let t in microseconds = latitude\1 + longitude\1 * 100 + Alt in Km *1000 .b. Odd seconds communicate vector (ie destination), Even seconds communicate Location.3. There is a third variable required - which I call "Density". Each plane calculates the perceived Density of their airspace and sends that as well. Your density is your passenger count divided by the distance between you and other planes multiplied by their perceived density.4. For manned aircraft nothing further is required - this beacon signal will ward off all unmanned vehicles.5. For Autopilot or UAV, it is possible to chart a new safe vector by trying random vector changes and calculating their future density based on the vectors and densities of nearby airplanes. The vector which optimizes progress toward destination with lowest density is the vector chosen.Advantages:simple calculation requirements (ie Arduino), cheap transmitter/receiver requirements, and low power requirements. cheap unit cost, and no ground control.Such a system could be demonstrated by coordinating a swarm of Ardu-Planes.Ben

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you are 10,000 feet away from me and you send a blip at GPS t=0, then it takes about 10,000 nS, or 10 uS to arrive at my location. Seems like there would be several solutions to your equation above and it'd be impossible to disambiguate.
    I find a certaing amount of irony in Chris's response because I believe he's right. Too many groups would not want big brother to know where they are, but at the same time I'll bet they'd all have their cell phone ready for those important calls... which can be tracked.
  • 3D Robotics
    Ben,

That's very clever. In a sense, it's a simplified form of the transponders that commercial and military aircraft already have. But as you know, the private pilots association has fought hard to stop the FAA from requiring civilian aircraft from carrying transponders. Some of their objections are economic, although it's obvious that transponders could be made quite cheaply, but the less overtly stated reason that matters even more to them is freedom. They like being able to "file and forget" flight plans, or not file at all. The idea that would always be tracked in the air is what they resist.

In short, if this were just a technological problem, solutions like your very smart one could easily provide a solution. But it's cultural too, and there are some very entrenched interest groups who don't want to see this happen.
This reply was deleted.

Activity