Replies

• Developer
    These guys claim to have "last items in stock":

http://fpvhobby.com/25-us-army-fpv-airplane.html
  • I guess I should have looked here first? I decided to scratchbuild a Raven, and in scouring the earth for data, I stumbled onto this thread, right here at my own DIY Drones. Ok, I guess everyone would probably prefer it to be a RET plane, and keep the polyhedral wings for crazy stability? Also, is there any preference on the nosecone? That 3d model with the world's ONLY 3-view has a round nose (version A?). Is the round nose preferred, or the blunt pointed of the version B? Does the wing need to breakdown? I hope you like EPP. The idea is, when this thing crashes hard, you pick it up and toss it back in the air.

Lets liven this thread back up, and I'll build a plane.
    Tim
  • I See Alot of people with Discussing Models " LIKE" The Raven. I Think the thread was started with the Idea of an Actual 1/1 SCALE Model. I'm FINALLY To a point where I have time to work on this again. So Hopefully I'll be able to Post some pics of my progress.
    Thanks
    DV
  • Have a look at my photo's.
    My plane is a lot like this one.
    My prototype was 1/4 the size, about 320mm long, 150 mm high, 40mm wide, large horizontal and vertical stabilisers, no controls, just a "chuck" glider and it was very stable. I got good pendulum effect with only a little dihedral.
    I tried it as an autogyro as well. Even with a single 4 bladed rotor, 300mm in diameter, it had no roll tendency.
    It even glided! Which I didn't think a gyrocopter could do!
    I went on to try a tandem configuration with 2, 4 bladed, 300mm rotors on a 40mm wide wing. Which also had a good glide angle.
    This is why my fuselage sides on my current model are made from cardboard, it is 220mm or 8.5" high,
    It's a bummer balsa only comes in 100mm or 4" wide sheets!
    Pizza box type cardboard is the best to use, you get great penetration with dope or polyester resin.
    Cheap, easy to get and work with.
    Don't try "double wiggle" cardboard though, it doesn't take up dope very well.
  • FYI. The Ground Control System pic is that for a SKYLARK UAV not RAVEN. I'm looking at one across my desk :)

Cheers,

Marc
    A few pics and model movie about Raven Drone.

Speed_Modeling_UAV_Raven.avi

• How about a 1/1 Raven?

Find a pylon style freeflight design by someone like Sal Taibi and put a big fat pod and boom fueslage on it. There's your Raven or Aerovironment Pointer. The apparent freeflight roots in these two designs arent just coincidence when you consider the mission and who designed them. I might bash a Witchdoctor X for mine, or some combination of my fjirst prototype and a FF design..

Here's a picture of an old Zipper FF
    Heres mine almost the same but at the same time completly different.

3691924948?profile=original

3691925077?profile=original

RCgroups is a great lace to start looking for some handy airframes, there are guys kitting the ideas.

Heres a start for those that have not dipped their toes into RCgroups yet.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827488&page=91
  • Already working on something like this as an upgrade to an existing model. If we could get smaller hi-res cameras off the shelf it would be much easier but their relative bulk makes things more difficult. Will issue an update in due course.
  • Does anyone have the dimensions for the Raven? I have the time to put into one, but can't find any specs to build from.
This reply was deleted.

Activity