Adding extra functions to MinimOSD

I have started to add functions to MinimOsd code.

At first i did it for myself only. Added many functions i thought i need. Then opened this thread.

after a while, Pedro and later Miguel came, and things started to happen fast. :D

They have optimised the code and added even more things to it.

They have worked hard on CT, and it became a great tool!

Thank you Bough! :)

By now MinimOSD-Extra got a pretty advanced OSD.

Here it is in action:

Added:

- Changeable unit measurement (US, metric)

- Airspeed

- Home alt

- Battery Percent

- Battery used mah

- Current Draw

- Time From Startup (cleared at takeoff to show exact flight time)

- OSD Menu

- Variometer

- Wind horizontal speed and direction, and also the average wind speed of the last few minutes. 

- OSD on/off

- Switchable secound screen

- WP distance

- WP heading

- Crosstrack error

- Warning messages for Lost GPS fix, Stall, Overspeed, battery volt, battery Percent, RSSI

- Efficiency, glide distance & thermic notifier. 3 in one panel

- OSD Brightness

- HAM Call Sign

- After flight summary

- Trip distance

- Temperature

- Smoothened horizon

- Real heading

- RSSI

- Vertical speed

This functions can be turned on and off, and placed on different screens now, by the Config. tool.

Also RSSI, switching mode and channel and unit measurement, Stall speed warning, Overspeed warning, Battery warning volt, Battery percent warning, RSSI warning,  can be set in new Config Tool.

We built in a new way of setting video standards. Now OSD does not guessing anymore :). You can set it fixed from CT. It is in "Video Mode" menu.

Here is how it looks: (This video is a bit outdated, sorry. I will make a new one soon.)

The MinimOSD-Extra project is here: Link

This project is the developing version of the official Arducam OSD located here: Link

The latest stable version is: 2.2

The latest version can be downloaded from here: MinimOSD-Extra R800

Username: MinimOSD_Extra

Password: Top_Secret

CT is included. (The FW for Plane, Copter, Character upload and the character file is in the "FW & Char" directory inside CT directory)

We are sharing it to see videos you make using it! :)

Enjoy

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have been thinking about trying to build a better OSD, unfortunately I have not had time to learn Eagle well enough to put all of the pieces together.  If anyone is interested, I have found a some open source schematics and board files that would be a good start.  Sparkfun does not have the eagle files for the MAX7456 breakout, but the do have a schematic https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9168, I have used this and a Arduino Pro mini to make my own OSD.  The code for MinimOSD worked fine. JK Devices http://jkdevices.com/arduino-megamini has the board and schematic files for download for a very small footprint Arduino Mega 2560 board.  From reading the Max7456 datasheet, I believe you can use multiple Max7456s in the same circuit.  If you wanted to you could have one max7456 overlay on top of a second one.  The reason I bring that up is that I would like to have 3D waypoints and it seems like it would be easier to overlay that on top of the existing overlay.

Doing it this way you would probably be able to keep most of the existing code and have tons of room for additions.

Someone up thread mentioned using a graphical engine instead.  The guy that owns this page http://www.super-osd.com/index.php  has a prototype, but the project seems to have stalled out.   There is a thread on http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1290963&page=12... but there has been no activity since April 2013.

• I would love to see Elevator channel value so I can see the difference between when in Manual mode and when in Stabilize mode where APM takes control and levels my plane.

this way I can better trim my plane. does this makes any  sense ?

Navi.

• Hi,

There is a new copter pre-release r680

Config it with CT Tool r676

The main improvements are:

GPS sats icon will blink if hdop is greater than or equal to 2 (bad gps position estimation).

Configurable (show/hide) icons for AS, GS, HA, MSL. Also removed some other icons that are not configureble (like time).

Warnings settable on scr1-off, scr2-off, scr1-scr2-off
    Auto warnings panel switch can be setted or turned off.

GPS 2d fix. Now it will only set HA if you have a 3d fix.
           Fix types are indicated by icon.
           * is no fix. Satelite facing to right 2d fix,
           satelite facing to you 3d fix.

If someone can test this pre-release it will be much appreciated. If possible videos :)

Take in account that I cannot tested it :( so there may exist some bugs.

Regards,

Miguel

• Gabor, could you explain how the configuarable icons for AS, GS, HA, MSL work in the new version? I tried to toggle the check boxes and I didnt see the change. I'm sorry if you already did and I missed it.
    The new changes look great. I hope to see continued decluttering of the screen so I don't have to mod the Charset on each release.
  • one observation-THR(throttle)letters is missing in r676.I'm not edited charset.

• Question:

There is a way to show flightmode.

Is there a way to define my own names?

Thanks

• Question:
    Ist there a way to have more Warnings?

Perhaps I like to see Failsafe.

Yes, video range could be higher than transmitter range ;)

• Hello,

ist there a place where I can read, what some details are?
    Perhaps RSSI what's that?

cu
    Carsten

• I guess I'll throw my feature request into the mix here :)

Would it be possible to show RSSI based on the PWM of any arbitrary servo channel? This would allow those of us who use EzUHF and other receivers that do not have an analog RSSI out. In this case, the RSSI PWM signal would be plugged in to an extra input on the APM directly. There was once a gentleman on the FPVLAB forums who made a hardware PWM to analog converter, but he doesn't sell them anymore.

From what I can tell of the source code (I am not a programmer), you already parse MAVLINK RC_CHANNELS_RAW so I'm hopeful such a feature would be possible without increasing the code size much. The config tool could provide an RSSI option that would allow user configurable min/max pulse sizes for 0-100%.

And as my first post in this thread, I must say a big thank you Gábor and others for your amazing improvements to the OSD!

-Tom

• I vote for new board with capability of separate video battery monitoring, bigger processor, and support for 2 cameras being able to switch between them!
This reply was deleted.

Activity