Adding extra functions to MinimOSD

I have started to add functions to MinimOsd code.

At first i did it for myself only. Added many functions i thought i need. Then opened this thread.

after a while, Pedro and later Miguel came, and things started to happen fast. :D

They have optimised the code and added even more things to it.

They have worked hard on CT, and it became a great tool!

Thank you Bough! :)

By now MinimOSD-Extra got a pretty advanced OSD.

Here it is in action:

Added:

- Changeable unit measurement (US, metric)

- Airspeed

- Home alt

- Battery Percent

- Battery used mah

- Current Draw

- Time From Startup (cleared at takeoff to show exact flight time)

- OSD Menu

- Variometer

- Wind horizontal speed and direction, and also the average wind speed of the last few minutes. 

- OSD on/off

- Switchable secound screen

- WP distance

- WP heading

- Crosstrack error

- Warning messages for Lost GPS fix, Stall, Overspeed, battery volt, battery Percent, RSSI

- Efficiency, glide distance & thermic notifier. 3 in one panel

- OSD Brightness

- HAM Call Sign

- After flight summary

- Trip distance

- Temperature

- Smoothened horizon

- Real heading

- RSSI

- Vertical speed

This functions can be turned on and off, and placed on different screens now, by the Config. tool.

Also RSSI, switching mode and channel and unit measurement, Stall speed warning, Overspeed warning, Battery warning volt, Battery percent warning, RSSI warning,  can be set in new Config Tool.

We built in a new way of setting video standards. Now OSD does not guessing anymore :). You can set it fixed from CT. It is in "Video Mode" menu.

Here is how it looks: (This video is a bit outdated, sorry. I will make a new one soon.)

The MinimOSD-Extra project is here: Link

This project is the developing version of the official Arducam OSD located here: Link

The latest stable version is: 2.2

The latest version can be downloaded from here: MinimOSD-Extra R800

Username: MinimOSD_Extra

Password: Top_Secret

CT is included. (The FW for Plane, Copter, Character upload and the character file is in the "FW & Char" directory inside CT directory)

We are sharing it to see videos you make using it! :)

Enjoy

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Also try set gopro to 720p and no osd
    • Thanks Floyd, it worked!! 

3702504433?profile=original

It's working great, thanks to God, like a charm, with a GoPro 3+ 1080p wide, with osd from the GoPro too. 

I have tried earlier to deliver 5v to both sides of the board thinking it would give the same results as bypassing the 12v -  I was wrong. 

And thanks to Floyd advice I have decided to hack the bypass.

I found instructions for my board (Mavlink OSD v2) in the following link: (for people who encounter this problem in the future) 

http://www.fpvhub.com/index.php?topic=20249.0

In this link the guy showed how to remove a resistor to avoid powering the analog part, and attach 2 wires for the 5v and Ground. 

Hope my experience would help others, I was about to return the product...

Ori

• I had a similar problem but it went when I soldered the jumpers to pass 5v through and done away with the 12v
  • Hi everybody,

I need your help guys, I have a MavlinkOSD v2.0 (same as minimOSD 1.1)

When I connect the OSD to my setup the video looks like this: (very very bright and poor quality)

3701781890?profile=original

When I connect my video without the OSD it looks like this: (Very good quality, normal brightness)

3701782140?profile=original

I have tried everything to solve this with no luck :(

I have flashed it in success and updated the firmware to the latest beta.

I have updated it to the latest stable version.

I have updated the CharSet in success (when both ends are connected, one to 5v and the other to 12v)

I have tried to power both ends with 5v

I have tried to power the OSD without connecting to the APM.

Everything seems great on the computer when I update, but when I test it - the video quality is horrible.

What am I missing? or is it just a bad board?

I would highly appreciate your help

Thanks,

Ori

• Hi

I have been working the minimOSD software and noticed how limited the remaining flash space is... There is virtually no space left...

are there any plans  for a new hardware version with, for example an atmega 644/1280/1284/2560 which would allow more functionality? 

A last additional question would be if anybody has already tested the code on one of these chips? I know Arduino supported atmega models should be interchangeable, but a confirmation would be nice ;-)

thanks a lot and regards

andreas

• Hi sixtimesseven,

I have cleaned up and optimized the latest available SVN code and I ended up occupying around 24k with the same functionality.

There is still some optimization to do but I think it can go even smaller.

My work is at: https://github.com/ljalves/minimosd-ng

The project is paused, but I expect to start working on it again soon.

Regards,

Luis

• Hi Luis,

That's very interesting.. are you saying your .hex file is down to 24k from over 80k? Or am I misunderstanding that a bit?

• Not the hex but the binary size.

The atmega in the minimosd can take 32k and from that remove 2k for the bootloader.

You end up with around 30k useable flash mem.

(to be honest I don't have 100% but I remember that it was between 24k ~ 26k)

• Ah ok, well done!

• Hi Louis

Thank you very much for your replay.

You are of course correct, I have been working with this release "V2.2, May 8th 2014" and was a bit surprised by the number of floating point calculations...

My final goal, and why I`m asking this  is sort of an ultimative ground station with osd/bluetooth/telemetry data logging/tracking/diversety etc. and designing a board with many options to expand the system later on (sadly, the minimosd is not very expandable on the hardware side ...). 

Reduced code size is neat, but I think i will still have a go on testing the minimosd code on a more capable chip to have resources to spare. If you think about it, the 1284 is not so much more expensive but is superior in memory, pin-count and adds a second serial interface as well... 

regards 

andreas

This reply was deleted.

Activity