Adding extra functions to MinimOSD

I have started to add functions to MinimOsd code.

At first i did it for myself only. Added many functions i thought i need. Then opened this thread.

after a while, Pedro and later Miguel came, and things started to happen fast. :D

They have optimised the code and added even more things to it.

They have worked hard on CT, and it became a great tool!

Thank you Bough! :)

By now MinimOSD-Extra got a pretty advanced OSD.

Here it is in action:

Added:

- Changeable unit measurement (US, metric)

- Airspeed

- Home alt

- Battery Percent

- Battery used mah

- Current Draw

- Time From Startup (cleared at takeoff to show exact flight time)

- OSD Menu

- Variometer

- Wind horizontal speed and direction, and also the average wind speed of the last few minutes. 

- OSD on/off

- Switchable secound screen

- WP distance

- WP heading

- Crosstrack error

- Warning messages for Lost GPS fix, Stall, Overspeed, battery volt, battery Percent, RSSI

- Efficiency, glide distance & thermic notifier. 3 in one panel

- OSD Brightness

- HAM Call Sign

- After flight summary

- Trip distance

- Temperature

- Smoothened horizon

- Real heading

- RSSI

- Vertical speed

This functions can be turned on and off, and placed on different screens now, by the Config. tool.

Also RSSI, switching mode and channel and unit measurement, Stall speed warning, Overspeed warning, Battery warning volt, Battery percent warning, RSSI warning,  can be set in new Config Tool.

We built in a new way of setting video standards. Now OSD does not guessing anymore :). You can set it fixed from CT. It is in "Video Mode" menu.

Here is how it looks: (This video is a bit outdated, sorry. I will make a new one soon.)

The MinimOSD-Extra project is here: Link

This project is the developing version of the official Arducam OSD located here: Link

The latest stable version is: 2.2

The latest version can be downloaded from here: MinimOSD-Extra R800

Username: MinimOSD_Extra

Password: Top_Secret

CT is included. (The FW for Plane, Copter, Character upload and the character file is in the "FW & Char" directory inside CT directory)

We are sharing it to see videos you make using it! :)

Enjoy

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Oh, one more thing, RSSI is working but I get %% instead %. Is this a bug or something I can correct?

Thanks,

Steven

• Many of the labels were removed to clean up the screen clutter. There are some optional ones you can select on the first page of the CT tool.
      The flashing satellite dish means your HDOP is above 2.6.
  • Hi,

I have successfully implemented a second battery monitor in the Ardupilot (Arduplane and Arducopter). At the moment you can only set it up using a modified version of the Mission Planner software.

I have tried (and failed) to build a MinimOSD Extra version that can display the new second battery voltage.  Can someone please build it for me? I have trouble with the sketch size beeing too large, which made me use a newer compiler version. My build of the MinimOSD doesn't display any values from the Ardupilot.

The change I have made in the message definitions file is in the common.xml: 

<message id="1" name="SYS_STATUS">

<field type="uint16_t" name="voltage_aux_battery">Aux battery voltage, in millivolts (1 = 1 millivolt), -1: autopilot does not measure aux battery voltage</field>

... </field>

I thought it woud be easy to display the voltage (previously placed in the variable osd_vbat_B) by adding this to OSD_Panels.ino (at method panBatt_A:

if (osd_vbat_B <= 0) {
      osd.printf("%c%5.2f%c", 0xbc, (double)osd_vbat_A, 0x0d);
    }
    else {
      osd.printf("%c%5.2f%c %c%5.2f%c", 0xbc, (double)osd_vbat_A, 0x0d, 0xbc, (double)osd_vbat_B, 0x0d);
    }

But no values are displayed.

I really need assistance! :)

My forks are at

Ardupilot: https://github.com/Xtreamer/ardupilot

MissionPlanner: https://github.com/Xtreamer/MissionPlanner

Xtreamer/ardupilot
    APM Plane, APM Copter, APM Rover source. Contribute to Xtreamer/ardupilot development by creating an account on GitHub.
  • Hi,

I have not used my MinimOSD for a loooong time. So, I want to update to latest FW, Char. Set and Config Tool. As far latest, is the "latest pre-release" seem to be working for plane or would you recommend I use the latest "stable" FW?

Another question, since I last used the MOSD, I have switched to a 5V camera. Will the MOSD work OK with just 5V going to the analog side?

Thanks so much for any help from you experts.

Steven

• Gabor/Miguel... now that APM and PIXHAWK will be supporting 18 (14) channels, will you be able to modify the minimOSD-extra code to read beyond 8 channels?  Is there anything stopping that today? I know that support isn't in the public release, but it appears Tridge has released it to master in support of SBUS2 so we should see it in all main releases of APM code soon unless I am misunderstanding?

• Hi,

I got some problem (and I'm not alone) with home altitude. It sometimes suddenly resets to zero.

Here is another one with the same problem http://diydrones.ning.com/forum/topics/ac3-1-2-baro-alt-reset-in-mi...

And here is my video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxvMxLqe7aI

Of course in APM logs all is fine and everything works, like RTL in the correct height etc.

I use latest MinimOSD-Extra_Copter_Pre-release_2.4_r726.hex and arducopter 3.1.2

• Hi Vilnius,

Long time no see!

I have removed The old HA method from plane. Now OSD reads it directly from telemetry data. This means that OSD should show exactly the same values that APM is currently using.

The version you used has the old method, where OSDwas waiting for stable gps location, than sets the actual height as HA.

But that is strange still.... Hmmm...   I have never had this on plane. The logic does not allowes this, even if you use the old FW, but i did see your vid... Hmmm...

Upload the attached FW.

As i mentioned above we read it from telemetry data now. Miguel have added it to copter FWalso.

Please send me feadback.

Or a videoabout it. ;)

Gábor

MinimOSD-Extra_Copter_Pre-release_2.4_r750.hex

• Hi,  Gábor!

Today was great weather and I tested copter with new firmware to no avail. Never get zero problem again, but look at the clock :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTwAnRA6CkA

• Hi Gabor and Vilnis,

I also had the altitude reset during flight issue. Since I put the release 750 I have not seen the problem appears. Still have to perform more test because it seems to be very random.

However, as the last video of Vilnis, the flight time clock is no longer trigger ... stuck between 0.00 and 0.01.

Thanks guys

• The MINIMOSD 2.3. pre-release:596 overlay stops after a few minutes into a flight.  Recent change was an upgrade to apm 3.1.  I've embedded  a video showing the failing overlay.  Option to switch between multi-screens is disabled.   Issue only happens when in the air and affects two separate boards from different suppliers.  I didn't see this issue with APM 2.9.1.

Any ideas how to fix this?

This reply was deleted.

Activity