Developer

ArduCopter 2.4 released

Version 2.4 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area.  Although not as big a change as the 2.3 release, it still includes a respectable number of enhancements and bug fixes.

Enhancements:

Bug fixes:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

Thanks go to the numerous contributors including users and their detailed bug reports, developers and testers.  Hopefully all together this will add up to a nice smooth release!

As per usual, please post your comments, issues in this discussion.  For enhancement requests for future versions, feel free to add them to the issues list.  Note:  you can "star" an issue to receive emails when someone comments on the item.  On the dev side it helps us because we can get an idea as to which feature requests are the most popular by sorting by the number of people how have starred each issue.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• lols. I have yet to be persuaded to leave my trusty 2.2b2. 

To whet the appetite a bit further regarding v2.5, I've just got back from having 2 fantastic flights in my local park in dead calm conditions with v2.5 Alpha on APM2. The 'copter is super smooth, very stable and flies great. The 'leans' that I have been plagued with seem to be gone and although there's still some work (or maybe my tuning) to be done regarding Loiter, overall very well done to the devs and testers!

My PID tuning was approached slightly differently in that I got it to fly pretty well in Acro mode, tuning Rate PID's only, then sorting stabilize PID's after. Acro mode though is a bit hairy to fly with as the accelerometers are not used.

Over the weekend (using cheap props) I'm keen try a 360° flip/roll in acro mode (lots of height though)

Congrats again to all involved.

• Hi,i have trouble with stabilization camera holder.Connection with servos are working correctly but not full rage of travel servos, If i want to change the parameter CAM_P_G or CAM_R_G in MP ,it can not be changed and program reports error when I trying overwrite new parm. Version 1.1.48 MP, Version 2.4.1 in the copter. Any help? THX Ondra

• Developer

ArduCopter V2.5 Alpha - Daily test (Tridge GIT - APM1):

Hello everyone!
    I want to
    make partakers of the evolution that the dev team is doing on the AC code.
    There I copy text from a thread I wrote on the dev list, I hope you will please stay up to date on the hard work "behind the scenes", I understand why it might seem that we're not working for you...
    We are trying to crank out a version that will give its best... stay tuned and be patient.

Cheers, Marco

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi all!
    I'm back from the airfield, I tested the latest version of AC with the latest fixes Tridge (GIT of today), Jason and Randy, aligned with the master repo.
    Here is the list of problems and improvements i've found:

1)
    very poor accuracy of the yaw in hard maneuvers but also in normal flown, easily loses the position by rotating the quad in a clockwise direction, and recovers as soon as it exits the maneuver abrupt, sometimes the quad I remained however rotated by at least 20 ° with respect to the initial position. Yaw work much better with the release 2.4.1 in the planner
    2) very good dcm stability, only one issue with horizon,
    although for once I found that the artificial horizon was moving too slowly compared to the actual movement of the quad in my hands, I resolved simply by disconnecting the lipo and then rejoining (see tlog)
    3) the throttle hold (i think now dynamic) is perfect with sonar and orrible with baro (see video and logs), some motors overshot in loiter. If i write a different value in the planner the throttle hold  and refresh i see different value (i write 0.200, refresh and i see 0.485), and this also to engines with disarmed
    4) loiter is fantastic, much better thank 2.4.1, i tried for comparation the JL version (2.4.1xp2)
    and there is no comparison, this works much better, obviously you see the error of gps, that never fails, but is very stable (the video speaks for itself)
    5)
    the repositioning of the loiter, both in height and in position is PERFECT, even dear Jason was better though "250" instead of 200 "(you know what I mean,, but I can change alone, LOL)
    6) about the "tune function" in the planner:
    the "tune high and low" work fine if i write this value in the left column, but if i write high value "7000" and low "2000" then i see in the right side of the tune parameters "2000,0" and "7000,0"....?!?!

DCM is very stable, but there are still many things to fix before releasing.
    I have not done tests with my X8 because first I want to see the small quad flying as it should... :P
    The video of my test is in progress, post it here as soon as it is on my channel.
    In attachment all the logs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Just finished testing my quad, using APM2 and i use latest code from GIT Tridge dcm-wip branch.

The result, this is the best code I ever tried.

I also have question, I flew in Stabilize mode, partially indoor, I could say no wind or very slow wind.

Sometimes my quad can stay in its place for 3-4 seconds and slightlly leans to other directions, its not deadly leans and the leans direction is not always the same.

Do you guys think this is normal? Or I should be able to achieve something better?

• Any update when the next release will be out?

• Hi, Marco.Do you know how Arducopter 2.4 support X-Plane simulation and Qgroundcontrol? How can I do that?

• Does anyone know how Arducopter 2.4 support X-Plane simulation and Qgroundcontrol? How can I do that?

• When posting comments about APM and 2.4.1 firmware, It might be very useful if we could have a few lines advising  of which version is being using and if it is the vanilla default version downloaded from the Mission planner or if its a splinter tweaked version from GIT and so we know where we are at and whether a particular comment relates to the version we are using on our own rigs. 

Many  of these posted comments I dont know if they are something I should be watching out for because I don't know if the version being used is a hybrid or not

• Ok boys, now that im done sulking and grieving my beloved quad thats no longer .....im planning the next build im pretty scared of having the same thing happen again so am considering ordering the apm1 instead,  its just seems tried and trusted even if it has to be flown with older firmware, i know that the apm2 is still very new and thus my consideration,

*what is the roadmap for apm1 support in upcoming firmware?

*dev team do you believe my consideration is justified or should keep an eye on this thread to see how the newest release of apm2 performs.

some peave of mind would be nice as i am considering closing my eyes and jumping on the deep end with a droidworx frame and axi motor so wouldnt what that flying away you know what i mean....

that would be just plain KAK......

looking forward to the replies...

cheers

theo 

This reply was deleted.

Activity