Developer

ArduCopter 2.5 released!

Version 2.5 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area!

Enhancements:

1. The first ArduCopter code release optimized for the APM 2.  Leans and drift should be much reduced or even eliminated for most users.  This was accomplished through a number of core improvements to the DCM implementation by Tridge like this one and this one.
  2. Loiter and waypoint following should be improved due to a D term bug fix, some tuning and the improved DCM performance mentioned above.
  3. On start-up, the yaw heading is updated with first successful mag read (so you should no longer see the slow rotation from north to your actual heading).
  4. Increased output rate to ESCs to 490hz.  This update rate is also user selectable using the new RC_SPEED parameter.
  5. hexa copter stability patch bug fix (should resolve slight flattening when pitching forward and accelerating very rapidly).
  6. improved baro filtering
  7. fix to dataflash logging of Mag heading
  8. addition of H1 swash plate type and bug fix for proactive yaw compensation for collective pitch changes for TradHelis.

Tuning:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

While some testers have reported very good flights with the default PIDs, some have reported that this release is a little "sharper" due to the DCM improvements and have found they needed to:

reduce stabilize P by 10% (i.e. 4.5 -> 4.2)

reduce stabilize D by 30% (i.e. 0.15 -> 0.10)

increase rate D from 0 to 0.001

Tuning loiter can be tricky.  Refer to the discussions which will appear below for more community feedback on what parameters work best.

Please post your feedback in this discussion.  For enhancement requests  and bug report, please add them to the arducopter issues list.  When possible please include logs (tlog and/or dataflash) and tell us whether you're using APM1 or APM2 and what version of the software you're using (presumably 2.5 but tell us anyway!).

Thanks for this release go to the developers (both in the core team but also those who have provided bug fixes through the issues list) and also the community members who participated in the previous release thread and provided some great detailed information in the form of issue reports and logs which allowed us to nail some bugs!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Anyone else notice in the APM, that flight-modes don't change when switched to? 

Just constantly shows Stabliize.

yet in the Radio setup, it correctly selects the right flight mode.

Even in CLI it shows them correctly.

But Flight-Data section and even the STATUS tab, just shows Stablize and nothing more.

• I had a crash last week testing 2.5.3 with a similar behaivior that some people reported. Quad leaning to its back.

an initial take of was attempted at 40-45% and i could land it. on the 55-59% i had the crash where i broke one propeller and end of the game.

here you have the log.

2012-04-01 09-11-48.tlog

• hey,

may i disable compass in 2.5? with older board i remember it was explicitly said that if compass is disabled i should unplug gps - but it's not that easy with purple board, where both compass and gps seem to be soldered to the board..

thanks,
    jk

• Hoping to get some help...

I tuned my quad (3DR 850kv 10x4.5 3300mah lipo, APM1, 2.5.3) to try to get rid of the unstable loiter. After changing the default PIDs:

Stab P from 4.5 to 4.4;
    Stab D from .15 to .10 and
    Rate D from 0 to .001

Params attached.

Loiter seemed to work fine, hovering around 15' but it would drift to the left. Then after several seconds it took it self for a walk forward. See video.

What can I try to have it sit still?

http://youtu.be/KRMYLQP2MdU

2012-04-08 06-10-41.tlog

• Ok, here I am again nagging :D I would appreciate if someone could give me a help or point me in any direction. This is a print screen of a graphic from my last flight log. You can see clearlly the "braking - reverse" effect here just shown in pitch. I give it full front pitch, the copter responds, but when I drop the stick, it overcompensates back, making an agressive braking with a bit of reverse. What setting should I touch to avoid this effect ? I have RATE D term at 0, I already tweaked with STAB D term but doesn't seem to affect this. I'm not a PID expert, so if anyone can help me, I would appreciate.

pitch in vs pitch.jpg

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692394291?profile=original
  • Developer

A video that is definitely worth seeing... nice job Jason!
    Soundtrack: "Boards of Canada" (Dayvan Cowboy).

• Well... another flight test, another crash.

First my quad started to flip over to the left (twice on take off). I levelled it, it took off ok, then I switched to loiter --- Immediate flip over, crash, 2 props to garbage. I'm flying download area version of AC 2.5.3, It has been giving me some erratic behaviours and glitches in middle flight wich are not getting me very convinced on it's rubustness. I know a great deal of job was put in it but, I'm sorry, it's not working for me. I attach the log files to see if anyone can reach any conclusions but without many hope. Xaircraft pro 450 frame, X flight mode, emax gt 2218 930kv motors, 5000mah 3s 30c battery, all weight approx 1550gr.

actual.param

2012-04-09 17-06 1.log

config.jpg

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692392964?profile=original
  • Guys, how is the bugfixing going?

Has the problem with the yaw been fixed yet?

• I flew my there rigs today but my laptop wouldn't boot up so i couldn't log the flight. Even though had a few issues, mostly had some good flight.

Is there anyway to get the logs from the board if it wasn't save to the computer? I also noticed that on decent the hex wobbles quite a bit. I recall there was some discussion on this issue. What was the final conclusion to the cause of this? I have a few other issues as well but I will check my hardware etc before I conclude if its hardware or software related.

• Hello :)

With your Loiter settings i have the best settings ever! my copter hold the position with a radius of 2-3meters with light winds, but very stable, no overshots or something!

i have Mikrokopter Fram MK50, with 760kV Motors, 10 x 4,5 Props, and 4S Lipo!

I just want say the difference between 4S and 3S Lipo are big! I fly long time with 3S lipo and now I switch to 4S Lipo, and i need 1-2 hours to tune my PID new!

sorry for my bad english :)

MK50 v4 settings for Forum.param

MK50 Otti.JPG

This reply was deleted.

Activity