Developer

ArduCopter 2.5 released!

Version 2.5 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area!

Enhancements:

1. The first ArduCopter code release optimized for the APM 2.  Leans and drift should be much reduced or even eliminated for most users.  This was accomplished through a number of core improvements to the DCM implementation by Tridge like this one and this one.
  2. Loiter and waypoint following should be improved due to a D term bug fix, some tuning and the improved DCM performance mentioned above.
  3. On start-up, the yaw heading is updated with first successful mag read (so you should no longer see the slow rotation from north to your actual heading).
  4. Increased output rate to ESCs to 490hz.  This update rate is also user selectable using the new RC_SPEED parameter.
  5. hexa copter stability patch bug fix (should resolve slight flattening when pitching forward and accelerating very rapidly).
  6. improved baro filtering
  7. fix to dataflash logging of Mag heading
  8. addition of H1 swash plate type and bug fix for proactive yaw compensation for collective pitch changes for TradHelis.

Tuning:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

While some testers have reported very good flights with the default PIDs, some have reported that this release is a little "sharper" due to the DCM improvements and have found they needed to:

reduce stabilize P by 10% (i.e. 4.5 -> 4.2)

reduce stabilize D by 30% (i.e. 0.15 -> 0.10)

increase rate D from 0 to 0.001

Tuning loiter can be tricky.  Refer to the discussions which will appear below for more community feedback on what parameters work best.

Please post your feedback in this discussion.  For enhancement requests  and bug report, please add them to the arducopter issues list.  When possible please include logs (tlog and/or dataflash) and tell us whether you're using APM1 or APM2 and what version of the software you're using (presumably 2.5 but tell us anyway!).

Thanks for this release go to the developers (both in the core team but also those who have provided bug fixes through the issues list) and also the community members who participated in the previous release thread and provided some great detailed information in the form of issue reports and logs which allowed us to nail some bugs!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• hi

could someone help me find the cause of a crash i had sunday

i have a quad copter flying apm1 1000kva motors 30amp speed controllers 5000amp 3 cell lipo spectrum 6 channel reciever

with satelite aireal v 2.5 loters quite well for 3 mins or so

i all so have just got a apm 2 same setup xcopter though fully charged 3cell 5000

took off fine couple of flights

tried loiter not to bad on standard pids

switched to stabilize WELL it goes wild think two motors went flat out flipping it mid air to 90 degress then all seam to go full blast flicked switch back to different fligh mode either pos hold or loiter not sure all happened so quick any way wouldnt level shut down just before hitting ground

killed it

could some one look at my logs as i only have 4 short ones and maybe tell me what went wrong

as i dont want to rebuild and same happen again

last log maybe short as battery ripped of on impact

flew fine till took it out of loiter

many thanks stuart

2012-05-20 17-36-58.tlog

2012-05-20 18-08-24.tlog

• Emin,

I have an APM 1 2560 with a MTK 3329.

The GPS receiver works with defaut value. (1hz and 38400 baud).

In 1 second, my hexa can drift in loiter position average 3 or 4 meter. When the copter apply correction to move to the center, it'll be late because it will still move.

On the other side, If the GPS mark 10 positions in one second. It can have a better reaction/error. I speak only for the GPS calculation and not for gyro baro accel sonar or magneto.

For the MTK, I can put in 10hz and 115200b (I've read 38400 is too slow) with miniGPS but when I power of and power on, it restart whith defaut value.

3 solutions:

- APM don't need to have a 10 hz receiver.

- Try to change the defaut value (I don't know how)

- Put an external batery to keep new setup (not really the best solution for me)

Sorry for my english.

• Are the standard ESCs from the 3DR Hexa Set already programmed? Or must I program
    anything?

Accu type?
    Cut off?
    Soft start?

Does they have a special firmware to work best with APM2?
  • Hello,

Very nice job. I flight with my hexa (2.5.5 firmware) and no problem in manual mode. It's very pleasant.

Thanks marco and the team for this job.

I wait the 2.6 code for the loiter and auto mode. Actualy, loiter is too apprimate for me (too slow to react in wind). Maybe not use enough the accelerometer. Or my mtk gps is poorly configured...

Do I keep defaut value (38400 and 1hz) or I must connecting a backup battery to save better value (10HZ at 115200)?

• gps battery back up???is this ok to do?http://code.google.com/p/ardupirates/wiki/MTK_GPS_backup_battery

it is very anoing to wait 5 or more minutes on GPS lock on every baterry change...also any advice how to do it without desoldering gps from APM2 is very welcome..

• can somebody tell me is this original or not...i do have APM2 but friend asked me where to buy,and he found this http://www.goodluckbuy.com/ardupilot-mega-v2-flight-control-purple-...

• Emile thank you very much I can now picture what I am trying to achive with the I term.

Your help is greately appreciated I have been chasing my tail with the tuning.

Regards Pete

• Dave could you please explain the effect Rate_I has on flight in Dummies terms.  LOL

Thanks Pete

I want to try tighten up on the controls of my quad with APM2. When in hover, out of ground effect and in zero wind I still get random sideways drifting more than I want, it's almost like there's a little slop or play in a servo linkage. Is there a parameter or a way that can "tighten" things up, if you know what I mean? Or is this the best we can get out of the hardware?

My Stabilize_P is 4.50 with I = 0.130, Rate_P is 0.155 and I = 0.090, D = 0.005.

Also what parameter controls the RTL ground speed?

• Am amazed that the compass can roll without any rounding error while the copter circles. Quite a feat. Have been away from the recent updates. Have been placing robot mechanical tools recently. The robot actually exists in the controller to coordinate the mechanical handler. A end effector is another issue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_end_effector

This reply was deleted.

Activity