Developer

ArduCopter 2.9 / 2.9.1 released

ACRO bug (fixed in 2.9.1b): while doing flips in ACRO mode, if you switch to Stabilize while inverted your throttle will go to minimum.  To regain throttle control you need to switch back to ACRO then back to Stabilize again (i.e. switch to stabilize twice).  You never lose control of roll/pitch/yaw.

Loiter/AltHold/Auto/RTL bug: if you switch into these modes with throttle at zero motors will go to minimum until you raise the throttle.

Auto mode altitude bug (fixed in 2.9.1b): setting a waypoint altitude greater than 320m over home altitude may wrap around and instead be interpreted as a low altitude.

ArduCopter 2.9 is now in the mission planner and the downloads area!

The major improvement is we use inertial navigation to improve altitude hold.  This increased reliance on the accelerometers means you must do some additional set-up before flying:

1. Perform the new accelerometer calibration in the mission planner (video).  The auto-trim metho has also changed (video).

3690987999?profile=original

2. Add vibration dampening foam between your frame and the APM.  Some suggested materials: DuBrogelhk foam.

3690988058?profile=original

3. If upgrading from 2.8.1, modify the throttle and altitude PID values:

• Increase your Throttle Rate P, reduce I to zero, increase D
  • Increase Altitude Hold P, reduce I to zero
  • Tune Throttle Accel P and I terms but try to keep P about 1/2 the size of I

3690988113?profile=original

Here is the list of major changes (a more detailed list can be found in the release notes):  

• Alt hold using inertial navigation (Leonard, Randy, Jonathan)
    • AUTO_VELZ_MIN, AUTO_VELZ_MAX parameters control the max climb/descent rate for the autopilot (cm/s)
    • PILOT_VELZ_MAX controls max climb/descent rate for the pilot (in cm/s)
  • Landing improvements (Leonard/Randy).  Copter will descend to 10m or until an object is sensed with the sonar.  Then slows to 50cm/s descent (speed can be adjusted with LAND_SPEED parameter). (video).
  • Surface tracking with sonar (Randy/Leonard).  Copter will attempt to maintain current distance from objects in front of sonar regardless of altitude.  Only used in alt-hold and loiter, not used for missions.  Sonar can be enabled/disabled with CH7 switch. (video)
  • Failsafe improvements (Randy/Craig/John Arne Birkeland) including bug fixes, additional check for PPM encoder failure and implementation of battery failsafe.  Set-up instructions are here.
  • Mediatek gps driver accuracy improvements and use of SBAS [Craig].  Instructions on upgrading your mediatek to firmware 1.9 are here.
  • Traditional Heli improvements (Rob) including (a) bringing heli code back into the fold, (b) enabled rate controller (previously only used angle controllers). (c) fix to rotor speed controllers - now operates by switching off channel 8.  (d) allow wider collective pitch range in acro and alt hold modes vs stabilize mode  (e) bug fix to allow collective pitch to use the entire range of servos
  • Acro trainer (Leonard). Copter will return to be generally upright if you release the sticks in acro mode.
    • ACRO_TRAINER : set to 1 to enable the auto-bring-upright feature
    • ACRO_BAL_ROLL, ACRO_BAL_PITCH : controls rate at which roll returns to level
  • Camera control improvements (Randy/Sandro Benigno):  (a) AP_Relay enabled for APM2  (b) Trigger camera with CH7 or DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL command  (c) Allow pilot override of yaw during missions and fixed CONDITIONAL_YAW command.
  • PPM sum support for transmitters with as few as 5 channels (Randy/Tridge/John Arne Birkeland).
  • Performance and memory useage improvements (Tridge).

As per usual PIDs are optimised for the 3DR/jDrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props and are seeing bad flight behaviour in stabilize, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

Special thanks to our testing team lead Marco and the dedicated bunch on the 2.8.1 release thread who put their copters at risk while testing the pre-release version.  Some of their videos are here: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Please feel free to report issues you find in the discussion below and/or add them to the issues list.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Firstly hats off to the dev team!  I managed to eventually get v2.9 in the air today on my APM1 after doing a quick tune this morning following Dave's guide.  After initial hand tuning I had to lower some of my PIDs a bit in the air.

The new ALT_HOLD is the best I've ever seen my quad hover, except for the initial drop which caught me a bit off guard.  Is this drop due to be fixed in a future release perhaps?  Then when I change altitude in ALT_HOLD my quad tends to "bounce" un and down once before settling.  Which parameter can I tune to improve that? 

• For what it's worth I've had really good results so far without adding any foam under my APM 2.5 case.  It's stuck to the APM carrier plate with about 2" of 1/2" wide of 3M automotive type double sided tape right down the center.  So it doesn't have much actual footprint of attachment and my props are balanced.  If it's performing well should I worry about it?  I've flown in stabilize, alt hold, and loiter so far, and done almost all my landing using RTL. 

• Happy to report that I did my accel calibration in terminal setup mode and used the stock 2.9 firmware for my Reptile Frame (TBS Discovery clone). Tested the auto land several times, and it worked wonderfully! No more bouncing landings. Loiter seems more locked. Did not notice much difference in stability mode and general flight characteristics, but I am definitely impressed with the new auto land features.

• my 2.9 testing today.

alt hold great but a bit jumpy i dont know why. need tuning

"jumpy"  when throtle up during loiter (look at 3:23 )

also "jumpy" when do auto land at 3:31 min.

• Had a test flight with 2.9. Only hover + ALT hold.

All works smoothly. Thank you!

I turned the rate P sligtly down. I want the hexa to be rather smooth for video use.

One feature has appeared: When putting alt hold on, the hexa drops 1 meter down and slowly starts to rise up a gain. Earlier versions putting alt hold on had no immediate effect - now it shuts down the motors for 0.2 secs or so. This might be a feature and designed this way, but it is a scary moment when the hexa drops first down.

Talon Hexa, Turnigy 2217, 11x4.5, F-40A Simonk

• Randy,

I am struggling - help needed.

(APM 2.5+, Telemetry 433, U-GPS)

Problem:

Running 2.8.1 - upgraded to 2.9 - worked fine ! (btw ALT Hold - amazing..)

Now - Blue light comes on solid, no red light - wont arm - nothing.. Connected to the USB + MisPlanner. Blue light on the whole time - cannot connect via USB - stuck on "Got Param FS_BATT_ENABLE". When USB attached - Blue light goes off and then comes on at the same time it stop on the error mentioned.

I have put back firmware 2.8.1 - same problem. Reapplied 2.9 same problem. I can connect to the CLI - I have "erased" and "Reset" still the same problem. Blue light on solid (noting that GPS is not attached) and the red light is no where to be seen....

Any help would be great - right now not going anywhere...

Cheers James

• hi ive lost all power to my 2.9,it will only power up by usb,it was fine am using the apm power supply lead any ideas please,Marty.

• Because of the bad weather I didn't had the time to test 2.9.0, so I would like to share an experience I had when flying DJI Naza, that we may also occur with v2.9.

Naza come with a plastic case, but this case is not sufficient, when you are flying and sun is low in the sky. Because baro sensor is light sensitive, yawing your copter may lead to altitude drop, maybe 1 meter.

To solve this problem, I had to put a dark plastic box on my Naza.

The black case for APM2 seems to be a little transparent, so this problem may also occur

• Auto-Update makes from MissionPlanner-1.2.19 MissionPlanner V1.2.32.

• Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but having uploaded 2.9, calibrated the accelerometer etc.  When the Hex is connected to MP via USB, I see quite a lot of movement on the artificial horizon despite the Hex sitting perfectly still on my desk.

I have included the below video capture to illustrate this issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykQZVfBK_EM&feature=youtu.be

Is this normal behaviour ?

This reply was deleted.

Activity