Developer

ArduCopter-3.0.1 released!

ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

3691038784?profile=original

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I this jumps up/down on sensor  normal or BAD ?

copter on floor , connected USB port

3692772161?profile=original

• I have some questions on these parameters. I set WPNAV_ACCEL to 1 from a suggestion earlier in this thread or the other one but it seems too low. Today I tested a RTL and it went into RTL but wouldn't move. This must be the ACCEL term but what is the default for it?

And is the default for loiter speed 200?

I've had some situations where I will enter loiter before I have a good fix. I'm right on top of the stable switch because what usually happens it does a strong tilt and starts to move fast for the wrong GPS fix. If I hover around for another 30 seconds and try again then it's ok. The reason I ask is because even with these apparently slow settings why would it go so fast toward a wrong gps fix? I never let it go but it seems like it would be moving really fast. This is what I would like to slow down but I also need to get the RTL working.

Would be great if the defaults for the version you are using were available on this screen also as another column. It's helpful to see the settings range but it's more helpful to know how far we are from the default so we can pinpoint possible problems quicker. Is there a list of all the default values or at least the important ones for 3.0.1?

3692772137?profile=original

• Randy,Sorry!My english is still poor.When I flight at Loiter or ALT hold mode,The quadcopter is up and down convulsion(Fast twitch).Can you help me?Any insight as to what could be the problem would be greatful.. Thanks ! Attachments:

2013-07-14 21-32 7.log

• I just applied the Mu Metal on my tricopter as recommended from this link, and it made a whole lot of difference. It brought down the compassmot rate of my tricopter from 58% to 31%.

Although it is quite expensive for a sheet of 8"x11", Mu Metal sheet is good stuff.

It does what it is supposed to.

• Hello Everyone,

I have been having an issue after 3.0.x with flying in stabilize mode and after little bit in flight and this is intermittent that this happens the quadcopter will disarm and fall to the ground. This doesn't always happen so it makes trying to chase this problem down. Would someone review my logs and let me know if they see something I haven't been able to see.

Here is my setup:

3dr quadcopter apm 2.5 arducopter 3.0.1

minimosd (no tx pin used only rx)

jd-ioboard (no tx pin used only rx)

3dr telemetry radio (both tx and rx used)

3s 3300mah for drone and 3s 1300mah for fpv

I have attached the logs and the vibration is great in previous logs I will have to re-enable that logging to capture that but I have great ranges on the vibration.

Any insight as to what could be the problem would be greatful.. Thanks DIY community.

2013-07-14 10-03 1.log

Randy, FYI, my external mag is not here yet so while waiting I tried really hard today to get rid of my TB'ing. I ended up setting CH6 decl. tuning to 0-3.500 which gave me a range +/- 0.61 rad (+/-35°). I then tried with two packs to tune the TB'ing out but it never disappeared at any declination setting. Looks like the ext. mag is my only hope.

• Hi Randy and Dev Team,

I have strange problem. I am using Turnigy 9XR Mode 2 transmitter (throttle on the left stick) and Frsky Receiver.

I setup the channel on my transmitter to output the Throttle on Channel 3 and connect the cable from rx ch 3 to apm input 3.

My problem is when I do the Radio Calibration on the MP v.xx.60:

• Throttle stick = give input to Pitch Channel (Radio 2) with tx Ch3 connect to Input 3 on APM.
    • Pitch stick = give input to Throttle Channel (Radio 3) with tx Ch2 connect to Input 2 on APM.

My quad give the right input to the board and fly perfectly with v3. rc5 before update to v3.01. tried to downgrade to v 2.9.xx and the problem exist. I am not flying the quad yet with the above problem.

Sorry for my broken English and any suggestion will be much appreciated..

• ..and the forgotten LOG file...

Thanks

2013-07-14 20-28 7.log

• Hi guys, currently following the steps to set up my 3DR hexa, and I get some quite high results for COMPASSMOT test (following the indicated method

Is it normal ? if not what can I do ?

3692771920?profile=originalAlso, I think I have isolated the vibrations from the APM by using the range video stuff, but how/where can I check that the level is acceptable ? can someone say from the attached LOG file (from the compassmot test), or will it require a TLOG ? Any link on that would be appreciated

Thanks

• Great 3.01 has finally here! Just tried it on my hexa  and looks excellent. How come that now default ins_mpu6k is set to 0? Btw, flies fine, just it was a must in earlier releases, to be set on 20Hz. 

Thanks.

This reply was deleted.

Activity