Developer

ArduCopter-3.0.1 released!

ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

3691038784?profile=original

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm seeing lots of people with problems here with last firmware version. I'm mounting a Hexa with 3.0.1 firmware. So I ask: Is that version safe to fly or it's safer go for 2.9?

Regards,

Daniel

• Strange things happens to me yesterday with Arducopter 3.0.1 and I am thinking about "jamming" my quad by someone else, maybe this is just in my mind. See logs and TLogs attached.

APM2.5, AC 3.0.1, Tx Spectrum 2.4Hz, 433MHz telemetry, no FPV/

I was playing with my quadX yesterday for some testing (Loiter, RTL, Stab), was little windy.

First 2 flight were normal, no issue. On 3th flight, when I was on the "air" I did notice a guy behind me with playing (I believe) a Tx remote control with extended antenna (not 2.4GHz), but longer antenna. At some moment, from stabilize position at 6 m altitude, my copter starts to drift and loose altitude and crash in field. I was in Stabilize, I did check that 2 times and see on log also. During this time, I had not any control on my Quad, I did try to roll/pitch and increase altitude, since was loosing altitude fast. No control!.

After the crash I did ask the guy what is he doing there, is an empty field and always I was alone.

He said he crashed his RC copter one day before and did come for finding it. But I was wondering why you need your Tx with extended antenna, when you are looking for your copter.

I do suspect 3 scenarios: brown-out, mechanical-failure, or "jamming". From the log I did not notice any brownout, HW voltage was OK, battery voltage was 12v after crash (I did check that).

Could someone please try to see which of those 3 scenarios could be the answer?

I did parse all the situation from link below regarding the diagnosing.

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-diagnosing-problems-using-l...

2013-08-19 16-17-00.tlog

2013-08-19 19-49 27.log

2013-08-19 19-48 26.log

• Hi all

I have been crashing my quad now four times after I uploaded the newest firmware, 3.0.1. This is quite scary and when it happens, it goes into a really fast spin and I have very little control. This did not happen to me before on this quad with the older firmware. I thought first this could be realated to the compass, but not sure now. I have done the compassmot test in CLI and the interferance is around 29% which I believe is acceptable. What can cause this behavior? for example today it was rock solid in the air and on the fifth battery this suddenly happens. I have no idea what can be wrong and it doesn't help that I am not sure how I could use the log to solve this. Has anyone experienced something similar?
    What could be wrong?
    Attached is the rlog and tlog, can you use that or do you need the .log file? It was to large to upload.

2013-08-20 10-38-08.tlog

2013-08-20 10-38-08.rlog

• Hi all

I have been crashing my quad now four times after I uploaded the newest firmware, 3.0.1. This is quite scary and when it happens, it goes into a really fast spin and I have very little control. This did not happen to me before on this quad with the older firmware. I thought first this could be realated to the compass, but not sure now. I have done the compassmot test in CLI and the interferance is around 29% which I believe is acceptable. What can cause this behavior? for example today it was rock solid in the air and on the fifth battery this suddenly happens. I have no idea what can be wrong and it doesn't help that I am not sure how I could use the log to solve this. Has anyone experienced something similar?
    What could be wrong?
    Attached is the latest log

• Just had something odd happen. 

I haven't been flying much and decided to go goof around in the yard to test out a new Mobius camera. Took off and hit alt hold then loiter and it seemed fine. Hit Land and it started coming down but seemed sort of wobbly/ Was gradually moving it back toward me as it came down when it took off directly away from me. It was headed for the trees, so I just cut all switches (set up so it should go to Stabilize when all switches are off) and dropped throttle so it dropped before it went into the woods. 

Went to grab the log and the log download tool shows none of the previous logs that should be on the flash. It looks like there is a file with a large numeric name, but it cannot be downloaded.

Any ideas?

• Hi guys,

I was just demonstrating my friends at the flying field how my APM 2.5 fitted quad could do missions on its own as halfway through it decided to bank steeply and race away at full throttle! My heart skipped several beats there! Luckily, after two wide high speed turns I managed to get control back at a stable position from where I could safely bring it home.

Of course, to add to the drama, my GoPro recorded the flight in full detail. In it you can see that the quad is nicely following some waypoints as suddenly it banks and hits the throttle. What on earth (in the sky!) has happened there? I attached the log file and uploaded the movie to YouTube (the flyaway occurs just after the 1:00 mark; at around 2:00 I regain control by switching back to Stabilize):

2013-08-08 22-46 62.log

• Rate Loiter PIDs in 3.0.1

Hello, I have a quad with 850kv motors, and tbs discovery frame. I try the stock (in 2.9.1b) Rate Loiter PIDs on the new version (3.0.1) and the performance is awesome.  However with the stock PID of the v.3.0.1 the performance of the Loiter is worse.

I must change de Rate Loiter PIDs to the default of v.3.0.1? Is there any risk in using the Rate Loiter pid of the version 2.9.1b in the new version?

Why this PIDs on the new version? I only change the Loiter PID P from 1 to 0,5 for reduce the aggressiveness.

Best Regards.

• Hi ... I write from Argentina to tell my experience. For several months I have been flying my hexacopter successfully with 2.5 board. Very accurate loiter mode, alt hold, and excellent the rtl. The plate is located in a casing of epoxy barometric sensor covered with foam rubber. I'm running version 3.01 of arducopter, and until today, was a happy user of this system. This afternoon, after making two flights in which I was testing my new gimbal brushless, and after eating a rich barbecue with friends flying club, try out again with my hexacopter. The first thing I noticed was that the engines accelerated much more than usual, and when I wanted to raise, the hexa, he lay sideways or forward, so I decided, disconnect the battery and reconnect. The gps status lights and armed, were solid once plucked the hexa, I try again to lift, and this time normally rises, after trying for a few seconds hold alt modes, and then loiter, way back hexa stable, and while I was in hover a few meters out scared me .... forward. On this first occasion, nothing broke. Try later, and after reviewing everything ok find, and I get the same thing when I go to take off, start the engine with much more power than usual, and reeling for either side, when I look at the mission planer I see that after the engines were assembled, the artificial horizon, was completely twisted ...! Disconnect the lipo, and I reconnect ... everything ok, I check again the mission planer ... everything ok ... and lift the hex ... a few seconds and doing a hover ... scared out ahead again breakin ... this time an arm of hexa (F550 frame). Really I am totally baffled by what happened, and so far, never had any problems. Someone can guide me to find out where you can be my problem ...
    From already thank you very much ....

Pd.: attached the last log recorded before crash

2013-08-17 16-51-44.tlog

• I wonder why people are still advised to buy an external HMC5883. Everybody knows that this ship is replaced by a better part, the HMC5983. It has an build in automatic temperature compensation for a more precise readout. The breakoutboards sell for less than 10$ (http://www.ebay.at/itm/UPgrade-HMC5983-temperature-compensation-tri...) and the chip is below 2$ (http://www.newark.com/honeywell-m-ps/hmc5983-tr/3-axis-digital-comp...).

So whats the point in choosing HMC5883 today when a better alternative is already available? A quick glance at the datasheet reveals that the adjustments are very little for the driver.

Where is the downside of HMC5983 for Arducopter??

Cheers

Kraut Rob

• Hi.

I have the same issue as Giuseppe but not so agressive. I test at higher altitude (i think it's a must)

When I engaged loiter the copter drifts inmediately. I've reduced "loiter P" a bit.

I have an external compass and I've done compasmot with 6% result. Accel noise (x,y,z) is very low as you can see in log.

I've tested the same hardware configuration, same GPS, APM 2.5 but internal mag and loiter was working well (only a bit of toiletbowling).

GPS Hdop was 1.6 with 10 sats.

I need help with this issue. I've not any brilliant idea. ¿Maybe Hdop? ¿Compass calibration (i've done live calibration)?

3692805802?profile=original

over 4910 - Loiter

4924 - Fly away

5149 - return to stabilize

PD: AltHold + simple mode  works perfect  

2013-08-18 22-05 3.log

This reply was deleted.

Activity