ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 386071

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's actually easier to set the default to 0m than it is to remove the parameter, so I'm sure that's what we will do.

I agree. If the launch location is a bit tight, with obstacles or occasional traffic (humans, other copters, whatever), or just on one of those GPS-glitching days, it might be wise to let the copter hover and land it manually. Not everybody has 100x100 feet or meters shortcut grass :)l

My quad flew great on 2.9 not a single problem had it for about a year until i updated to 3.0.1 and completly destroyed it because it just flew off. Rebuilt it the exact same way with the same equipment as the first one that flew great and it still wants to fly away. I'm going back to 2.9 or ditching APM all together. Lots of other boards out there that don't have near as many problems.

Give my congratulations to Valentina, It's not common to find womens in this activities here in Argentine, I suppose that I'm the only one here flying Quads, mine is a modest HK frame but I'ts my first multirrotor construction, I started with FPV and then APM  airplane 2 years ago and last summer with the quad.

Ryan,

What you describe is almost guaranteed to be interference from power distribution board or power wires on the compass.  Looking at your parameters from the otherwise empty tlog it doesn't look like you did the compassmot.  If you do a flight in stabilze mode and then post the tlogs here I'm pretty sure we will see that it's compass interference but if not perhaps we can find another problem.  dataflash logs would be helpful as well.

By the way, about 90% of problem people have are caused by one of the six issues discussed on this wiki page.

your wish is my command.  modified with this commit so it'll go out with AC3.1.

I do not see the same tabs as you see and trying to update from the help tab where I think I need to go now it fails :(

Thanks Randy!

I think there are also very good female 3D Helicopter pilots doing amazing stunts (I saw a video on YT). My sister in law was so crazy with my walkera ladybird that I finally gave it to her. My brother on the other hand is not able to cope with the simple ladybirdsteering up to this day - even his 7 year old daughter does it way better.

Anyway.. there should be an initative for women - but how would that look like?

Cheers

Kraut Rob

I think like you that is important to post too when the things go well, I did it, so others can read that this update works nice for many people, great work Randy.:)

Please download the MSI from here http://ardupilot.com/downloads/?category=4&sortby=date and install it instead.

hi rendy, we need more details of your problem.

rendy, coba jelasin lagi problemnya gimana. yang detil ya

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service