Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Randy,

After a succesful Spline Waypoint fight over 3400m route last Friday, today my Quad crashed on RC7....

Took it up in stabilize, and was just gaining altitude going up fast (at least that was the plan) where the drone just dropped from 20m without any stabilisation at all...

Tried to catch it in the free-fall with a lot of power but no reaction at all..., so the 2.8KG Quad hit the ground hard.

Broke two arms, props, Frame, and Gimbal frame got bend, but that's the risk I know....

Can you have a look ?

I have never seen this before with over 100 Flights with the PixHawk, 

Log is attached, and I do see some Z axis noise increasing around the drop time, but the PixHawk is still connected to the frame, so makes no sense to me.

Erik

2014-09-07 17-44-58.BIN

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3701823505?profile=original
    • Developer

Erik,

Thanks for the report.  It looks like a mechanical failure.  It just suddenly loses Roll and Yaw control, noses down slightly and rolls left. It doesn't appear to be a control issue because the desired roll, pitch and yaw are all normal meaning the controller certainly didn't want the change in attitude.

3702516600?profile=originalIt's not a false positive on the landing check.  The battery voltage and current also look fine.  The current drops at the end but this because the copter cuts the throttle while it's upside down.  It would still be trying to maintain it's attitude though.

3702516736?profile=original

• Thanks Randy,

Based on the earlier flight with RC7 I didn't see anything wrong with PosHold, loiter, en stabilize, and the incredible Auto run's around a large lake.

Yesterday after looking for missing components, I did find half a prop about 2 meters away from the crash site, so I am expecting that one of the rear carbon props broke during flight causing the noise in Z axis, and most likely x an y axis as well.

That was enough to turn the quad upside down, which explained the sudden drop in motor sound, like the power was completely gone...., but like you explained that was because the quad was up side down at that time.

It simply couldn't get back up before it hit the ground.

Good time now, to buildup my Hex, with the same components, (all electrical stuff is still fine)

Thanks again, for your work and all other developers !

It is an incredible accomplishment to release this kind of software in combination with the Missionplanner, without major flaws.

In the long Auto flight last Friday I did lose transmitter signal twice due to the distance (over 800m) on a Spectrum Dx6i, with duo receiver, but as designed as specified in the software the Quad carried on to complete the Auto run flawlessly...

It did Auto take-off and land (RTL) within 50cm from the starting point...

Thanks again,

Erik
        TIME.IT - Ora Esatta e Fusi Orari
        TIME.IT il sito dell'Ora Esatta e dei Fusi Orari
  • O Noble Ones!

Is it necessary to do any new calibrations (compass, compassmot, accel. etc.) when installing rc7 over rc6?

Thanks!

• I did not have to do any new calibrations from 3.1 to 3.2 rc6 then 3.2 rc7 !

Just had several flights and all modes working GRATE........

Tested Stab,Althd,Lot,Poshold had a Mission (3waypoints) + Follow Me all is well

APM2.6 450DJI frame 1000Kv motors NE07 3d radio

Thanks to all the team !     WCP

• 3.2 rc7
    X-type Octocopter (based on early 2012 vintage 3DR Quad with extra motors/quadESC, and APM 2.0 replaced with Pixhawk. Internal compass only, external Neo6.)

No problems, smooth rock-solid Stab, Alt-H, Pos-H.

Congratulations and grateful thanks to Randy and whole team.
    Greatly appreciate immense effort involved.
  • I seem to have an issue with doing the compassmot or Compass/motor test as it's now known, in 3.2rc5, and MP 1.3.9.

I use MP to start the test, and while it graphs amps vs interference, when I press FINISH it seems to "calibrate," then restarts the APM...but does not seem to write the results into the parameters.

What am I doing wrong?

• I would like to report that 3.2-rc7 worked nicely on our small quad. (800 mm 31.5 inches).

apm 2.6 (external compass and GPS)

Tried stabilize, Alt hold, POS hold, RTL, land, and *alt hold takeoff*: Very smooth.

Congratulation on this release (rc7) very impressive and very smooth.

Now tried 3.2-rc7 on a larger hexacopter Pixhawk no ekf.

- stabilize Alt hold seems fine.

- POS HOLD, Loiter, RTL, Land have this pulsing motors problem and this render any video work virtually unusable. In POS HOLD and Loiter, an occasional very short "twitch" is present sometimes in the roll axis at other time in the pitch axis.

• Henry, r u @droneshare ?

• @Rana: Yes I did register.

This reply was deleted.

Activity