Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I had similar problem and I taped case air entrances with electrical tape and solve in part, windy days I still have the problem in Loiter or alt hold

• Report and a question: Have been flying a 3DR Pixhawk with the various iterations of 3.2 Beta for the past couple of months, currently running -rc10. Aircraft is a Hoverthings Flip Pro (dead cat) with custom extended arms (made by Hoverthings) to accommodate 13 inch props. Have been flying mostly in the more basic modes, such as stabilize, alt-hold, position, circle and RTL. All liftoffs/landings have been manual, I'm an experienced R/C pilot.

The only real issue maybe related to the Beta firmware that I've encountered was a need to recalibrate the compass and acels even though that had already been done. While running -rc7 I had the quad try to fly off to China a couple of times out of loiter, and also some toilet bowling. Updated at that point to -rc10 which didn't help, but then did the recalibrations and all is well again in that regard.

A remaining issue, perhaps not related to the firmware (??) is an odd vibration pattern I'm seeing in the logs. As shown in the attached picture of a couple of flights, vibes seem to suddenly increase during the later parts of flights and then stay that way. It's not enough to cause any gross behavior, at least not that I've discovered in the basic flight modes, but it's nevertheless weird and I don't like it. I don't think it's a motor defect, they're the new very fine ones by  KDE. Props are gorgeous (expensive) ultra light and stiff cabon fiber, by T-motor.  Also, nothing on the aircraft is loose. (Can't append a log file because they're over this forum software's size limit...)  Any ideas? Thanks! 

3701845421?profile=original

• I just bought 6 KDE 2814XF-515 motors and one is defective; never powered it. There was a very slight clicking noise when hand spinning the motor after installed on the motor mount. Moving the power leads around slightly made it much worse or stopped the noise.

• Hi DG,

I am using 4 of those myself and they are working great.

In my Flip FPV with extended arms I found it necessary to very carefully center and evenly tighten the motor or a binding - clicking - dragging situation could occur.

Enlarging the arm mount center hole slightly would probably also fix it,

However yours sounds like a real defect and you should contact KDE for a replacement.

The motors seem to me to be very well made, but this one just came out a couple months ago, so their could still be some teething problems,

They have the highest efficiency rating of any motor in this size class.

Best Regards,

Gary

• http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/how-to-test-for-continuity-on-a-s...

1 out 6, ok I can live with that. I didn't test the motors for continuity or anything, but now have taken a crash course in electric motor inspection after finding a second defective motor after installing it. The short didn't show up during the pre-install stage while calibrating the ESC's.

• No complaints here, KDE responded immediately and took care of me. Those I've talked to that have the 515 say it is a beast of a motor and very efficient (better flight time than ecalc estimated). I'm looking forward to hopefully having the copter in the air this coming weekend.

Being in the inspection business, I never assume an essential part of a machine is good, and should be inspected. It's in my DNA :)

Trust, but verify.....

• I have a glitch with follow mode when flying a hex Tarot 810, Pixhawk using 3.2 rc10.

I lose control of my 2d camera gimbal tilt. I am using channel 8 as an input and RC9 as output to alexmoss 32bit gimbal controller.

Works OK in other modes, as soon as I go to follow mode the tilt moves to a position I would expect if the input was 1100.

Attached is a log where i repeated the issue, the subsequent variation in channel 8 produced no change in camera tilt.

Thanks in advance for any pointers on what i am doing, having fun with what is my first project into missions and logs :)

2014-10-05 15-53-21.log

• Hello everyone,
    Randy you look at my log to give me an opinion on my drone, if you can find the log of the improvements to do on the setting.
    Sounds good to me but a good analysis on the log I might reveal optimal values​​.
    the frame is a Reptile 450 carbon frame and arms are in Nylon.
    fc VRμBrain 5.1
    Ublox M8 GPS with compass
    4x Sunnysky X2212 980KV 180W
    M-30A 30A ESC SimonK
    3s battery 5200 mA / h
    total weight 1.4 Kg

regards

2014-10-04 15-43-22.rar

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3701844974?profile=original
  • Recently I have experienced 3-5 crashes consecutively in Loiter mode The crash only happened in Loiter mode I am runnning APM2.6 with AC 3.2 RC10 after investigating in the log and Contacting Radny I have figured out that THRin goes zero in loiter mode only suddenly and quad crashes please have a look at my log , I have a doubt that it might be some encountered bug in AC3.2 RC10 Please take a look at my logs , My quad is badly damaged .... 

2014-10-05 10-17-46.log

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3701844963?profile=original
    • Developer

Milan,

It looks like a mechanical failure rather than a software bug.  The reason is that the desired roll/pitch vs actual roll/pitch are tracking well and then suddenly they diverge. This is the classic symptom of a mechanical failure.  The frame didn't respond as it should, the controller certainly didn't ask for the vehicle to tumble (if it had, the desired roll and pitch would have gone crazy).  My guess is it was a failure of the front-right motor, ESC or propeller because the vehicle rolls right (+ve roll) and pitches forward (-ve pitch).

3702523044?profile=originalIn particular you might want to check that you've disabled the low-voltage cut-off of the ESCs.

The ThrIn going to zero looks unrelated as it happens after the crash.

This reply was deleted.

Activity