Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Loiter and RTL want work correctly.

I changed both GPS-Modules to 5Hz, but in loitermode it´s going crazy, the copter is hopping and everytime correcting with pitch and roll.

RTL-Mode = no reaction.

At this time i dont know what i can do....

Please help me to check my logfile.

2014-11-15 16-27-10.log

• Developer

Dominik,

I had a look at your logs (sorry for the delay).

I guess the issue is that it's wobbling a lot in roll and pitch during loiter.  It looks like the  HLD_LAT_P parameter is set to 4 but the default is 1.  If you return it to it's default I think it'll be ok.

• Holy sh**.... I dont know why the Parameter jumped up to 4. I never changed it manually.

I corrected the large compass params!

This Weekend i´ll spend some time to test it again.

And the winter is coming soon, i´ll correct the full build up and optimize some parts to reduce the vibrations.

Randy? GREAT SUPPORT!!! Thanks for your answere ;-)

Cheers

• Nobody can help me? :(

• 3 GPS/Compass related errors showed up in your logs.

Event/Failsafe ERR found: GPS_GLITCH

Compass Large compass off params (X:18.00, Y:60.00, Z:384.00) No MAG data, unable to test mag_field interference

GPS GPS glitch errors found (1) Min satellites: 0, Max HDop: 1.6     I can't help you with configuring your GPS though.

-Mike

• @Terry: +1 here with APM. Very surprised about the "extra short" time given to do the live compass phase..? Mission Planner just stop and give values.. A bit scary not knowing if it was "too long" before or "too short" now?

Just had a flight with 3.2 and RTL did the right thing so I only assume the compass was correctly setup?

Didn't try with Pixhawk yet. Would be nice to know why only few points seems sufficient where 2000+ points (or as many s you had patience for) could be checked before?

Henri

• Developer

Henry,

Thanks for the report. 

After all the reports on this thread, Michael and I did a bunch of testing on the MP's compass calibration and found two problems, both of which are now fixed:

1. the 2nd compass's offsets would become near zero if the calibration was run twice in a row

2. the Auto-complete feature threshold was set too low which could lead to offsets being off a bit (in my tests on just one pixhawk I could get variations of about 6degrees).

Michael/Craig say both of these issues have been fixed in the latest Beta so I highly recommend that everyone who is using the Beta, pushes the "Check for BETA Updates" button on the Help screen and if you saw a suspect compass calibration (i.e. it finished too quickly) please re-do the calibration.

At the risk of sounding like I'm passing the buck, I want to point out that the compass calibration is completely within the mission planner, it's not directly related to AC3.2.

• most excellent......

thx for your efforts

• Yes, Mission Planner 1.3.12 (i suppose this is the latest) has very nice compass calibration like the one in MP 1.3.10. I did 3 auto flights with compass calibration from MP1.3.12 with no issues.

• Randy,

After i've rebuild my hexa i did some testing with Autotune.

Manually tuned i would go for this PID's

D 0.008

I 0.160

P 0.18

STB 9.3

I've run Autotune more times and gettting always very high values, something like

D 0.02 (for AC 3.15 i got 0.0085 and no oscillation)

I 0.3 (for AC 3.15 i got 0.065 and no oscillation)

P 0.3 (for AC 3.15 i got 0.065 and no oscillation)

STB 13.5 (for AC 3.15 i got 11.2 and no oscillation)

After some additional testing i've identify the D value 0.02 to be too high and responsable for the motor oscillation. 

please see the Log attached 2014-11-16 14-35-15.zip (includes short testing in stabilize after autotune)

i''ve then decrease D until oscillation was gone and ended at 0.009. Please see second log 2014-11-16 15-31-11.zip

for comparison.

Can you give soime advice or discuss this with leonard ?

2014-11-16 14-35-15.zip

2014-11-16 15-31-11.zip

This reply was deleted.

Activity