Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Tryed RC 4 again today and had efk_check to 0,9 and baroglitch_dist 500.

Alot of errors in the log and Poshold stopped working in middle of flight and started to land.

No problem in other flightmodes.

Hardware: Tricopter with APM 2.5

Should i try other values for EFK_check and baroglitch_dist?

2014-08-10 15-45-02.log

• Using MP version 1.3.7 build 1.1.5307.24027

APM 2.6 Rx: FrSky D8R-XP reflashed with the 27 mS software in CPPM mode.

APM 2.6 with software 3.1.5 RCMAP for the first 4 channel works fine can remap the first 4 channels without problem.

Then erase and reflash APM with V 3.2-rc4: RCMAP is confused and it is impossible to remap the first 4 channels?

I think this is an "undocumented feature"

• I'm trying 3.2-rc5 and can't remap my sbus channels with rcmap feature, no effect after setting, restarting, reconnect, and the same wrong channels are moving.. super frustrating.

• Developer

Felixrising,

The issue is that in the mission planner radio configuration screen the meaning of the channels is not changing.  So even when using RCMAP, you won't see the green bars move any differently.  channel 1 is still channel 1, etc.  It's just that the use of channel 1 changes.

I've raised a mission planner issue here.

• Their reply indicated that it should already be done.  

When I used RCMAP on RC5 tonight the changes were not reflected in the radio calibration screen for Mission Planner 1.3.9 or APM Planner 2.0.14.

Not sure I want to try and fly this way...

Thanks for any suggestions.

• That is very interesting. So APM Planner just isn't updating the meaning any more even though it is changing within the Pixhawk/Arducopter firmware? Hopefully that will get updated soon, it's quite disconcerting, so I won't try changing things and changing it by trial and error.

Thanks for the reply Randy.

• I can not enable logs on RC4 with PX4, Log bitmask is 0 and if I change it and dissconnect/reconnect or remove battery it will be back to 0. I also tried go to CLI and enable all but its the same result, it says none the next connect.

Other than that RC4 works great, using EKF.

Any clues? I thought logs was fixed on PX4 from 3.1.5 to 3.2. This is another type of log problem tho.

• EKFCHECK_THRESH, it seems to me that the repeated errors from EKF regarding compass comes from the fact that few people (like me) don't make a "compass mot" to calibrate the Pixhawk built-in compass  .... because usually we use the compass integrated to the GPS, it was deported and undergoes less deviation.

How to disable the EKF compass?

EKFCHECK_THRESH 1? But it was not really a solution ... because no more EKF and for all sensors in this case.

It would be interesting to propose two solutions:

simply disable EKF for yaw control via a parameter.

or for those that want realy high reliability on yaw control it's perhaps possible to connect a second external compass on the I2C bus, and simply disable the onboard compass on pixhawk to have an effective EKF.

• Until I saw this post I was under the impression that running compassmot would calibrate the compass in both the Pixhawk and the GPS. I see now from checking the PARMs in the log that it did not. How do I calibrate both? Do I need to disconnect the GPS to calibrate the Pixhawk compass? MP calibrated COMPASS_OFS_X, Y and Z  for both, is there a reason that it couldn't do compassmot for both?

• ...And another question... I don't understand the reason for using the Pixhawk internal compass. In the APM the compass was moved to be external because of magnetic interference. My first quad crashed twice because even the external was too close to power electronics (my ESC's are mounted inboard). Even as backup, is the internal Pixhawk compass reliable enough?

This reply was deleted.

Activity