Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Rob,

I've created a new discussion here for you, me and Rob Lefebvre so we can follow-up on issues you find during your GCS development.

• Developer

Rob,

If you can reproduce the issue and send a log to Rob Lefebvre that would be great.  The vehicle should either get into AUTO with a valid command or it shouldn't go into AUTO.  It's possible to clear the mission after the vehicle is in AUTO and that should lead to the vehicle attempting to complete the current command it's working on and then it'll switch out of AUTO to Land or Loiter.

@Alex,

I have personally tested (some time back) going into AUTO with no mission defined and it operated as expected (i.e. it doesn't go into AUTO).  Please remember that Rob Ratcliff is testing with a personally developed GCS, this is not like a regular user of Mission Planner or DroidPlanner.  It's a previously untested combination.

• So basically from what you are saying and have tested, we should not go to "Auto" when no mission defined. And that is exactly what I have been doing since the incident I described above.

• Randy you have been a tremendous help to all of us and then entire project would be out of luck without your efforts. Frankly I have no idea how in the world you can research and reply to so many issues. You deserve a PAID vacation!

• Thanks for your support Randy, you've been a great help over the years!  Its been great to see the project flourish!

I actually told the copter to LAND myself as well with MAVLINK then the pilot with the R/C switched it to RTL. (Switching to stabilize would've probably been the best bet in retrospect.)

I'll check out the AHRS_TRIM values and compare those to values when the copter was able to hover in stabilize mode.

• I did that back in AC3.0.1 days. I engaged the auto mode mistakenly with no mission defined and the copter started rising. I couldn't gain the control for some 15-20 seconds and those were the scariest moments of my multicopter adventure. In my panic, I did something and was able to shut the motors down and watched the copter fell out of sky. Luckily it was a thick grass behind my home and the copter sustained no damage. Randy reviewed my log and commented that with no mission defined the auto mode should not have done anything. But it did...

He said that he would fix this on the following releases. I never followed the issue; I thought it was already addressed. Never the less, I never ever put the copter on auto mode with no mission defined again. I just wouldn't take a chance... 

This was in summer of 2013.

• Developer

No, that issue is fixed with the introduction of the AP_Mission library which went out with AC3.2.  It will not enter auto mode if there's no mission defined and it handles other situations better as well including clearing the mission while it's running, etc.

• Randy, I opened 2 days ago a support (http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/my-first-big-flight-away) about my flyaway. The fact is that I created a mission from droidplanner, sent it to the quad, waiting for gps lock (7 satelites), starting in stabilize and loose the quad as soon as engaged auto. It went 90° left, engaged LAND 4/5 seconds after seeing it going wrong and I wasn´t able to get it back. Found it 1 km away thank to telemetry.

Could it be a problem between APM and droidplanner ? I am using all the time beta version - this time 3.2 - and lastest version of droidplanner. 

The fact is that one day before, I get (maybe) same problem with other quad (v3.2 450 frame), trying drony mission with droidplanner and the quad went 180° away from waypoint - by chance stopped by a tree.

2 crashes in 2 days with 2 quads ? 

thank you for your advice

• Just for my own information can you clarify which version of DP you are using? for instance I am using 2.8.6 rc2  You can see by looking on your droid device 'settings' then 'apps' the click on DP and you can see what version. Probably a way to do that right in DP as well?  

also just fyi... I have made it a point to always fly in pos hold or loiter for a minute or so before engaging auto. This way I have some indication the gps and compass are in fact working togeather correctly.  This isn't required but... I do for safty. If you did that and it was fine then hit auto and it acted very badly that would be some indication it's not the compass or gps. I think... maybe somebody else can clarify my comment.

It's hard to diagnose without any log for Randy or others to look at.  Check here http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/downloading-and-analyzing-data-log...

This reply was deleted.

Activity