Automated Parachute Drop / Camera Trigger?

Edit: Success - http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/it-works-fully-automated-parachute-drop-from-quadcopter

I want to try this with my quad and see if and how it works.

Here's my waypoint list:

3690954240?profile=original

Basically takeoff to 6m (will actually take off the ground myself as AC v2.7.1 doesn't seem do the takeoff).

Then fly to a close waypoint at 10m alt, then to a further waypoint at 60m alt, loiter for 5 secs, release the chute, loiter for 5 secs, descend to an interim waypoint at 30m, descend further to a closer waypoint at 15m and RTL from there. This is in a fairly open area and the drop will be about 60-70m from the takeoff. May change the waypoint positions if there's a bit of wind.

Does that order & logic look about right?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Great work guys.

Watching the development of this function with interest.

Am interested in your thoughts about use of parachute to 'land' the machine. I guess I'm thinking in the eventuality of the machine getting out of shape (wrong way up) or heading off on its own mission .... could the operator manually trigger the parachute, power down the motors and hope for a gently landing..?

MJ

• Graham,

I spend 45 min reading on how to trigger a servo to drop a chute and come to find out it was not working... same frustration. Hopefully a fix in in the works.... currently I am achieving this directly from the receiver

OK, I ACTUALLY managed to get it to work in the HIL simulation!

What I discovered is that all DO_xxx commands need a dummy waypoint placed AFTER the DO_xxx command otherwise they won't work

eg:

WAYPOINT_1

DO_SET_HOME

WAYPOINT_2

Home will be set at WAYPOINT_1 but it will only be set if WAYPOINT_2 is there.

So I did this:

3692551460?profile=original

#1 is a dummy waypoint otherwise the mission won't run

#2 sets the servo to 1200ms,

#3 is a waypoint that will be flown to,

#4 sets the servo to 1800ms at waypoint 3,

#5 is flown to,

#6 sets servo to 1200ms at waypoint 5

#7 is a dummy otherwise #6 won't work

#8 jumps to waypoint 1 to repeat the mission 2 times

#9 is a dummy otherwise #8 won't work

VERY bizarre, is this a bug or was it intended this way?

Now I must try it in the air...

• I just started thinking about making servos do things at waypoints but there is not much info on it.
    Do you know what the RC parameters do like 1-manual 11-release? I thought they would correspond with a waypoint function. Perhaps thats what you need to set to get a servo output, or perhaps its just in HIL that its not driving a servo?

Discovered while playing with the HIL simulation that any DO_xxx command only works if a dummy waypoint is placed after that command, so DO_SET_SERVO actually does set the servo 6 (RC6_xxx) to whatever you told it in the mission planner (RC6_MIN/MAX) BUT although the mission planner actually shows the CH6_OUT as changing there is no physical PWM output that would drive a servo.

• Any new solution for move the servo?

bump

I've opened an issue here, please star it if it affects you so that it can be attended to.

Trying to get this to work but can't get any output for a servo.

Following this I've set RC8_FUNCTION to 10 (camera_trigger), RC8 MIN & MAX to 1100 & 1900, CAM_TRIGG_TYPE to servo, tried plugging a servo into A8 (or A9) but nothing, servo does not even move.

What else do I need to do?

• If you don't come right then try contacting Hein at hein@vlap.co.za. I understand he helped develop the trigger function and uses it regularly for cameras.

co.za Domain Homepage
    The co.za Domain Homepage - contains pertinent and detailed information specific to South African domain registrations
This reply was deleted.

Activity