Developer

Copter-3.3 beta testing

Warning #1: an issue has been found with Tower's Pause button which can cause the vehicle to fly to an old position if the vehicle has not sent a position update to Tower in some time.

Warning #2: Copter-3.3.2 fixes a bug found in Copter-3.3.1's desired climb rate initialisation which could lead to a sudden momentary drop when switching from Stabilize or Acro to AltHold, Loiter or PosHold.

Warning #3: Copter-3.3.2 fixes an issue found in Copter-3.3.1 which could lead to hard landings in RTL or AUTO if the WPNAV_SPEED_DN was set too high (i.e. >400 or 4m/s) and/or the WPNAV_ACCEL_Z was set too low (i.e. <100 or 1m/s/s).

Warning #4: a bug was found in Copter-3.3 which could cause a sudden crash if you abort a Take-off initiated from a ground station.  Video description is here.  The bug is fixed in Copter-3.3.1 so we recommend upgrading.

Note #1: AC3.3-rc8 corrected a long standing bug in the HDOP reporting.  HDOP values will appear about 40% lower than previously but this does not actually mean the GPS position is better than before.
Note #2: if upgrading from AC3.2.1 the vehicle's accelerometer calibration needs to be done again.
Note #3: set SERIAL2_PROTOCOL to "3" and reboot the board to enable FrSky telemetry like in previous versions.
Note #4: the wiki will be updated over the next few weeks to explain how to use the new features

Copter-3.3.1 is available through the mission planner.  The full list of changes vs AC3.2.1 can be see in the ReleaseNotes and below are the most recent changes since AC3.3.

Sadly this version (and all future versions) will not run on the APM2.x boards due to CPU speed, flash and RAM restrictions.

Changes from 3.3:

1) Bug fix to prevent potential crash if Follow-Me is used after an aborted takeoff

2) compiler upgraded to 4.9.3 (runs slightly faster than 4.7.2 which was used previously)

Changes from 3.3-rc11:

1) EKF recovers from pre-arm "Compass variance" failure if compasses are consistent

Changes from 3.3-rc10:

1) PreArm "Need 3D Fix" message replaced with detailed reason from EKF

Changes from 3.3-rc9
1) EKF improvements:
    a) simpler optical flow takeoff check
2) Bug Fixes/Minor enhancements:
    a) fix INS3_USE parameter eeprom location
    b) fix SToRM32 serial protocol driver to work with recent versions
    c) increase motor pwm->thrust conversion (aka MOT_THST_EXPO) to 0.65 (was 0.50)
    d) Firmware version sent to GCS in AUTOPILOT_VERSION message
3) Safety:
    a) pre-arm check of compass variance if arming in Loiter, PosHold, Guided
    b) always check GPS before arming in Loiter (previously could be disabled if ARMING_CHECK=0)
    c) sanity check locations received from GCS for follow-me, do-set-home, do-set-ROI
    d) fix optical flow failsafe (was not always triggering LAND when optical flow failed)
    e) failsafe RTL vs LAND decision based on hardcoded 5m from home check (previously used WPNAV_RADIUS parameter)

Thanks for your testing!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have telemetry radio connected to Telem 1 and minimOSD to Telem 2. Is that what you mean? With 3.2.1 in PH. I'll double check if data is coming.Regarding second GPS... is that the picture you are looking for?

GPS_Pixhawk_Dual.png

• I notice on my logs that there is a period at the start where EKF innovations are all at 0.  After arming they start reading but when I see other logs there seems to be data all the time.

All IMU data and Mag seems fine to me.  It also seems that the various EKF readings sit at zero and suddenly start logging.

This only happens with 3.3rc5 and all of my machines.  Any ideas!

2015-06-02 17-04-24 Cinetank EKF Variance.log

• I have had a problem whith the landing detector not working in some modes. I remember landing in loiter with 3.2.1 and it disarmed.With 3.3 rc 5 and before I haven't had a landing disarm in loiter or alt hold. I try not to land in stabilize if i don't have to ;)

It works perfectly in an auto landing, but not in loiter or alt-hold.

2015-06-09 20-06-58.bin

• Hi Lenard,

I know whats going on. I just looked at the code and it only disarms in an auto land. I thought it would disarm in other modes. So. lading detector works, it just only disarms in land mode. Is there a reason we do it this way ?

• Developer

Hi Greg,

Cool, I understand. You thought it would disarm without touching the Yaw stick. 

Thanks

• Developer

Greg,

It should automatically disarm in about 15 seconds if the pilot doesn't do the regular full left yaw, throttle-down maneuver.  It's 15 seconds because some people want to take-off again.

I guess it would have been good to test AC3.2.1 first instead of jumping to AC3.3 'cuz really we're looking for AC3.3 specific issues on this thread.

• Developer

Hi Greg,

From what I can see in your logs, your copter has landed and dropped to throttle_when_armed throttle output and is waiting for a disarm command from your yaw sticks.

You aren't logging RC IN and OUT so I can't see what you are doing. But it should be working.

If you set your log bit-mask to 157694 it should give us a little more information.

• Tried 3.3rc5 on f450 frame. Everything was great. Copter is better than ever before. Thanks a lot.

The only slight problem is landing. When I put it in land mode, it bumps againt ground twice before settling in.

Can I fix it in configuration?

Here is a video showing the issue

https://youtu.be/yIw9ItuQB_g

log is attached.

2015-06-10 06-29-15.bin

• sorry the video is here 

http://youtu.be/NHxnhOxDDyw

and if you see the final fall when it actually lands is quite fast. 

• Developer

Hi Pritam,

This is the classic baro getting disturbed by the high pressure bubble created by the props as you get close to the ground.

Classic designs that are badly effected by this are copters with canopies covering the pixhawk that are open on the bottom. The best design for landing altitude estimation would be something like a bucket. So a completly enclosed fuselage with openings on the side near the top.

You can see from the image below that the baro is dragging the altitude estimate down faster than the copter is traveling down causing the copter to lift off again.

3702703170?profile=original

This reply was deleted.

Activity