I made engine tester based on arduino. I would like to ask you, if someone/something does exists ? I found only too expensive commercial project: https://www.rcbenchmark.com/.
My cost only few $$ and I dont know if Im missing something. Here is what Im doing:
- measure voltage (rezistor divider + analog input on arduino, resolution ~30mV) and current
(ACS712 20A, resolution 40mA) on ESC input, current measurement is tricky - the value is really unstable so Im doing averiging from 300 values but still... it needs improvement [$2]
- measure thrust with weight sensor: 5KG FZ0967 + HX711 [$4.5]
- measure vibration with MPU 6050 [$3.3]
So I can calculate:
- power in Wats
- efficiency in g/W
I used Arduino UNO copy with LCD + buttons shield [maybe $10 ?] + extra potentiometer. There are two modes:
- manual - I can control input PWM with potentiometer and I can see all measured values on display and in serial monitor when arduino is connected to PC, one measure takes ~2seconds
- automatic - PWM is going automatic from 0% to 100% with 5%step, measured values are printed to serial monitor so then it is easy copy all values to excel and make some charts..
My motivation is compare ESCs, motors, propellers to get best combination. The tool is mounted on my table during measurement so there is a lot of space around. I know it is not exatly as during real flight but still, it is good to compare.
Are you interested in or am I doing something what exist or is useless ?
btw sorry for my english..
project website: http://diy.ivosch.cz/buzz-drone-engine-tester/