I would like to take the time to say that all of you developers' have done a wonderful job and kudos to all involved in the programming of this hardware!!! I can not believe the progress that has occurred since I purchased my APM in January.
I have finally gotten my quad-copter in the air this month and have had only one crash- which was caused by me dumb-thumbing the mode switches; panicking, and switching modes widely, when the machine then dropped 20 feet or so onto my concrete driveway. Just prior to that "exciting" last flight the machine ran a whole battery pack out in loiter mode using V3.0, software and I swear it didn't move more than 2 feet either way from the point where I switched it into Loiter mode! Amazing! And this was in unsteady 13 MPH breeze out here in Wyoming (which is unfortunately considered a calm day)!
I have uploaded the V3.0.1 rc1 software and have re-done all setup steps. Randy, thanks a bunch for the video set-up info and your time in this.
My machine is a HobbyKing X666 frame ( I think about 2 inches longer in diagonal motor spacing than the 3D Robotics machine ) , using an APM 2.5 with 915 Mz telemetry, LEA-6H GPS, APM Power Module, AC2830-358, 850Kv motors', APC 10x4.7 props, and AuduCopter 20 AMP ESC's, with a AuduCopter Quadcopter Power Distribution Board PCB, with all electronics and motors purchased from 3D Robotics. Battery is a 11.1 V, 20C, 2200Mah YKS Brand. Take off weight is 1.375 Kg, or 48.5 ounces with battery. My "Compassmot" is reporting interference at full throttle at 7% of Mag field. Control is provided by a Futaba T8FG TX and I updated the APM's PPM Encoder.
1) I think my X,Y,Z axis vibes are OK, but I am concerned about the roll-in vs. roll; and pitch-in vs. pitch amplitudes. Are they OK? To me the actual roll/pitch value looks a bit lower in amplitude than the "in" values as compared to those that I have seen on the various logs that have been posted, or in the instructional videos. If they are a bit low, what parameter should I be adjusting? So far, I am using stock settings and this is also how they looked under my limited V2.9b and V3.0 flights. I do not see any oscillations after quick control inputs, but I am not sure my eyes are really tuned into this yet. I would love to see logs from one of your developers' finely tuned machines, just to have a good comparison to aim for. I have attached logs from the first test flight conducted in my garage with V3.0.1 rc1 software.
2) I am flying at a ground elevation of about 4700 feet above sea level. My flight times with the above mentioned battery and 10x4.7 APC props is around 6 minutes. "Trim_Throtlle" is 629. Should I consider stepping up the prop diameter due to my altitude?
3) Does RTL have to be Flight Mode 4 for the Failsafe(s) to work properly? I thought I read that somewhere when reading how to set up the 6 position switching on the TX.
4) In the logs what are the "DU32" rows showing?
5) Is there a listing of the meaning of the Event Codes?