General setup Questions

I would like to take the time to say that all of you developers' have done a wonderful job and kudos to all involved in the programming of this hardware!!!  I can not believe the progress that has occurred since I purchased my APM in January.

I have finally gotten my quad-copter in the air this month and have had only one crash- which was caused by me dumb-thumbing the mode switches; panicking, and switching modes widely, when the machine then dropped 20 feet or so onto my concrete driveway.  Just prior to that "exciting" last flight the machine ran a whole battery pack out in loiter mode using V3.0, software and I swear it didn't move more than 2 feet either way from the point where I switched it into Loiter mode!  Amazing!  And this was in unsteady 13 MPH breeze out here in Wyoming (which is unfortunately considered a calm day)!

I have uploaded the V3.0.1 rc1 software and have re-done all setup steps.  Randy, thanks a bunch for the video set-up info and your time in this. 

My machine is a HobbyKing X666 frame ( I think about 2 inches longer in diagonal motor spacing than the 3D Robotics machine ) , using an APM 2.5 with 915 Mz telemetry, LEA-6H GPS,  APM Power Module,  AC2830-358, 850Kv motors',  APC 10x4.7 props, and  AuduCopter 20 AMP ESC's,  with a AuduCopter Quadcopter Power Distribution Board PCB,  with all electronics and motors purchased from 3D Robotics.  Battery is a 11.1 V,  20C,  2200Mah YKS Brand.  Take off weight is 1.375 Kg, or 48.5 ounces with battery.  My "Compassmot" is reporting interference at full throttle at 7% of Mag field.  Control is provided by a Futaba T8FG TX and I updated the APM's PPM Encoder.

Questions:

1)            I think my X,Y,Z axis vibes are OK, but I am concerned about the roll-in vs. roll; and pitch-in vs. pitch amplitudes.   Are they OK?  To me the actual roll/pitch value looks a bit lower in amplitude than the "in" values as compared to those that I have seen on the various logs that have been posted, or in the instructional videos.  If they are a bit low, what parameter should I be adjusting?   So far, I am using stock settings and this is also how they looked under my limited V2.9b and V3.0 flights.  I do not see any oscillations after quick control inputs, but I am not sure my eyes are really tuned into this yet.  I would love to see logs from one of your developers' finely tuned machines, just to have a good comparison to aim for.  I have attached logs from the first test flight conducted in my garage with V3.0.1 rc1 software.

2)            I am flying at a ground elevation of about 4700 feet above sea level.  My flight times with the above mentioned battery and 10x4.7 APC  props is around 6 minutes.  "Trim_Throtlle" is 629.  Should I consider stepping up the prop diameter due to my altitude?

3)            Does RTL have to be Flight Mode 4 for the Failsafe(s) to work properly?  I thought I read that somewhere when reading how to set up the 6 position switching on the TX. 

4)            In the logs what are the "DU32" rows showing?

5)            Is there a listing of the meaning of the Event Codes?

Thanks,

Joe

2013-06-29 12-53 2.log

2013-06-29 12-50-01.tlog

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Joe, thanks so much for your comments and information! I'm learning rapidly but have so much to go.
    The two major 'learnings' so far: I found finally that my Turnigy 9x needs to be in the acro airplane mode, NOT one of the heli modes. I also found that I have to stop trying 'semi-takeoffs' and just 'goose it' (hopefully outdoors). I've lost most of my props and haven't been outside yet.
    One possible question for you. The throttle is rough near the bottom. I can't gently increase the motors. Is there a way to keep the motors from stopping completely IN FLIGHT? (I have set up a separate cut-off switch that works)
    Good news, I got six flight modes set up with the switches. Gonna hit max throttle in stabilize, then hit altitude hold, rest a minute (or pea in my pants), then hit RTL (and get out of the way), then LAND! I didn't set a CRASH mode, so I should be OK. :)

Thanks again bo
  • I have a system very much like yours, so i will be following your every move to learn more. I've only accomplished flips on the floor so far, & haveittle flying experience. I'm hoping to do 90% 'automatic' (or computer controlled) flying, to reduce the crashes.

I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the clawed feet. I put foam on them, but the springs are already a headache. looking for better ones now.

any/all of your experiences will be appreciated. My first one was having the pusher & normal props wrong & all it would do is try to bury in the floor. :)

bo barry

• T3
    1. If it looks good flying then the roll and pitch are fine. Small variations is not a problem. Keep in mind that the APM is adjust constantly to maintain stabilize flight.
    3. You don't need bigger props you need a nigger battery. Flight times are mostly restricted by the amount of your battery. I use 5000mAh. Also at some point the the weight of the battery plays a big part. I've flown 2 - 5000mAh in parallel and only get a bit more flight time, not double.
    3. RTL can be set on any mode and is actually better to set on a seperate switch like channel 6 or 7. I use 7.
    4. Don't know?
    5. Somewhere in the manual should be a list. Not sure where?
  • 3D Robotics

You should mount your APM as far as possible from the PDB. On a platform an inch or two above is fine.  Also, mount it on foam to reduce vibration. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity