Gimbal for GoPro inside waterproof case?

It seems the popular Tarot and Zenmuse gimbals use the GoPro without it's rugged and waterproof housing.  Is there a reputable gimbal that will hold the GoPro while inside it's case?  I am leary of having a $400 camera outside it's protective case.  And if I go the amphibious route that I'm thinking about going, it would be required.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• http://swellpro.com/product/waterproof-gimbal/

Expensive mind...

• It is absolutely legit to be concerned about having your $400 camera completely exposed.

Here is my decimated GoPro after my last crash.

20150520_210709.jpg

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3691211446?profile=original
  • Thank you. Just to confirm. Both GoPro 2 and 3 cases will be compatible with this?

Thanks.

• I'm just designing this for the 3, because of the weight difference the parts would have to be changed to make a Hero2 balance. I'll post a thread showing how it all goes together and include CAD files for the parts. It shouldn't be too hard to modify the design for a Hero2.

• Tamas,

Just to be clear, I have no intention of trying to sell this gimbal on its own, as it is quite specific for my airframe. I merely wanted to chime in on this thread and support the idea that using the waterproof GoPro housing as part of a gimbal system is a good idea, and does not increase the weight of the system in a considerable way.

• Here is one I made about 18 months ago, before brushless controllers were so readily available:

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/rough-draft-clear-view-roll-til...

I have a brushless version almost ready for public reveal, give me another week or so and I'll share the details.

• Hi Joshua,

I'm willing to wait for your setup, can you tell us anything about what we can expect?

THanks!

• My design criteria are:

• waterproof/dustproof
        • maintain video out
        • reasonably easy sd removal
        • no props even in 170* gopro
        • clear view on the tilt axis from nadir to zenith (for many inspection jobs this is critical)
        • quick change between gopro and mapping still camera or I.R. etc
        • weight similar to the current goPro 2 axis
        • next step is three axis (limited pan, similar to DJI's new one)
        • Hi Joshua,

do you have any update. I would be interested as well. I have a GoPro 2 and I would really like to use it on a gimbal.

Thanks.

Tamas

• Hi,

I was looking for this for a loong long time and today when I just stopped looking for it for like 2 - 3 month's I think I finally found a retailer which could give you the solution:

Scarab Armoured gimbal

I'm also a paddler and working on a aquacopter for quite a long time (heavily customized) and the gimbal was the last peace of the puzzle. This setup is quite lean and it weighting around 192gram exluding the gimbal

Scarab_armoured_gimbal_black_0020__36299.1378291128.480.480.jpg?c=2

Let me know if it is helpful for you

Cheers

This reply was deleted.

Activity