Distributor

LidarLite working correctly? - SOLVED

Hi

I am trying to set up a LidarLite sensor from PulsedLight.

I set it up according to the wiki (new sensor, manufactured Feb 2015, interfaced with a Pixhawk)

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-optional-hardware/common-rangefinder-landingpage/common-rangefinder-lidarlite/

In the wiki it points to the Flight Data Screen to test the sensor,

but I only get zero as reading in this window.

But if I check in the terminal,

I can see that the sensor is working (see attached file),

so is it working ok? Is the wiki wrong?

Thanks a lot,

Felix

Capture.JPG

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi All,

Please review my write up for RC4 and LiDAR at Copter-3.3 beta testing.  I think there is some useful info I placed there.

Thanks,

Doug Walmsley

• Thanks Grant.

• Thanks for your replies Grant. I may give it a try.

• What's the bottom line on using LidarLite?

Is it reliable and accurate (more than baro and GPS)? Altitude drift from the barometer and/or GPS accuracy issues are causing RTL/Land inaccuracies during descent and flying in general. I've seen this on all my copters of late.

Thanks.

• Developer

Used in PWM mode yes I believe it is more accurate and better then GPS and baro.

Thanks, Grant.

• Is there any difference in performance between pwm mode and i2c mode or is it just a question of using whatever works for your setup / hardware version?

• Distributor

There are still various issues with the I2C of the LIDAR-Lite (even with the new models, manufactured after Feb 2015) which is the reason why I would recommend you to use PWM.

• MR60

Felix, Randy has asked me to make the same test as I did with an arduino using pixhawk and I2C. Unfortunately I have no more pixhawks in stock and am ordering new ones. In the meantime if you have time to make these tests, that would be useful for Randy to troubleshoot.

• Distributor

all right - I will try to do the test tomorrow.

But - he would like the LIDAR to be connected via I2C - not PWM?

Cause I didn't manage to get any data in the sonarrange field, using I2C (that was the reason why I started this discussion), due to this I moved to PWM (as well because of the discussion on the internet regarding the I2C of the Lidar still not being safe).

• MR60

yes indeed via I2C...

This reply was deleted.

Activity