MinimOSD - Black screen/no image

Hi all !

I need help about my MinimOSD freshly unpacked.

I've triple checked the cabling and I don't know why I've just a black image on my screen.
There is a suspicious comportement when I power on the system. I explain how it happens:
1. Connect correctly the Vin/Vout/RX/BLK between APM, MinimOSD and video transmitter 
2. Power on the APM 
3. Connect the battery balance connector 12V to the MinimOSD  

At point 2, the ST led (orange) blink and the D PWR (red) led power on and still.  
When I do the point 3, the ST led shut off and the A PWR led power on and still. 
After that, I just have a black screen... It's weird because the system worked at least once!  
The firmware is up to date and I use a XBee but I've not connected the TX port on the minimOSD.

What's wrong ? Someone can help me ?

Thanks in advance ;-)

Jerome

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for trying it too and for the advice. I suppose it was a spike then. I couldn't believe it either, that's why I fried a few boards retrying it. I used a PZ0420 camera, and either a Boscam 200mw 5.8Ghz or Fox 800mw 1.3Ghz VTX (can't remember which of the 2).

On my next setup, I'll do use only a video line on the video side of the OSD, and I'm going to power everything simultaneously after the power module (not using the balance connector anymore).

• Minimosd works just fine. I have a few and have never fried one. I dont understand how anyone could fry one unless they are plugging the wrong volts to the wrong pins.

On my quad i use a 4s for the motors and that powers the apm via the power module and a 3s for the video side which does the gimbal, vtx, a camera and minimosd. It doesnt matter which i power up first, it just works.

I never solder anything on my minimosd, just flash firmware + charset and use.

• It's simple: Do as I explained and with everything connected to the right pins of course.

• Well why would anyone want to go to the path that can fry their minimosd, when if you keep things simple and follow the instructions it works to perfection.

• Because like I said "The problem with that is that there are 2 routes to ground."

• Darn, i should have read this tread. i have just fried my 5th minim :(

• I want to share what I've learned and also get some advice before I proceed with the next step.

It was always my intention to power my entire video setup with a single battery to keep it all isolated and clean. I have a small 200mw transmitter, a genuine 3DR MinimOSD, and a gopro. The video tx can be powered with a 1s lipo at minimum voltage. It runs at 3.3v.

Turns out the MinimOSD is also running soundly on a discharged 1s lipo, which is the size of a pack of gum.

I have the analog and digital sides tied together with the solder jumpers. The ground on the video side ties to the battery, The GoPro, the OSD, and ends at the Vtx. The positive side of the battery is not connected to the OSD at all.

For testing, I have another tiny lilo powering the 5v side (again, I am NOT powering the other side, only passing through a common ground.

I want to do it all on one battery. I feel like the ground between the 5v side and the other side is already tied together because of the solder jumpers. I just want to make sure.

(Final thoughts: I thought there was a brownout fuse on the OSD that would kick in at 4.1 volts, but it keeps chugging away with no trouble right down to 3.8 volts. And there is no heat at all).
  • Anyone can help me with the ISP pin order on the MinimOSD, I have an AVR programmer and a FTDI cable and I understand that if I want to burn the bootloader I have to use ISP connector ? I don't know the order of the pins on the minim OSD

PS> I'm also seeing a black screen, andnever used 2 different batteries with this board, I first started it without powering the video side, I forgot to solder the two pins, than I soldered the pins so the video side will be powered from 5v supplied by FBOSD but I could see only a black screen. Before this there was no signal sent on the video cable, now MinimOSD is sending only a black screen and it seems I can't anymore update the firmaware, or upload any sketch using arduino IDE ...or any other config tools :(

Any suggestions are welcome. 

Thank you.

• Mine is also showing black screen only.

If bypassed all is good.

From the start i used two bats. One for APM and one for VTx Cam and OSD.

Do i need to connect two GNDs together for it to work???

• Hi,

As many of you, I already fried two minim boards (using a single Lipo)...

However I could repair it by replacing the max7456 chip (available as free sample on Maxim website).
    It is quite straightforward to do, but I posted some details here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1883842#post24876545

Hope this helps !

This reply was deleted.

Activity