Motors twitching in flight

I have started this dedicated thread at the suggestion of another contributor.

This issue has was raised on the main 'Arducopter 2.8 / 2.8.1 released' thread and can be viewed here.

http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topics/arducopter-2-8-released?commentId=705844%3AComment%3A1022742

I'm still puzzled by this twitching, however look at the latest log from today and in a little more detail I can see a very small change in the THR IN trace which appears to be directly connected at the time all the motors twitch (see below).

Is the THR IN trace taken straight from the Rx ?

Not only have I done the things as detailed in the main thread, but I have also:

Grounded the aircraft (in case of interference)
Repositioned Rx to top stack
Reprogrammed all ESC

I have attached the latest log.

Would dropping the ESC Update Speed in MP from 490 - 400hz help ?

Any suggestions would be appriciated, in the mean time i am trying to get hold of a duplicate Rx.  Any chance it could be the APM ?

spikes_5.jpg

2012-11-09 13-17 179.log

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thought I would provide an update to all.

I have been testing an evaluation version of the PPM encoder and thanks to the developers the results are very good.

As some may have seen from this and other posts, the problem of twitching has been plaguing me for months ever since I built this, my first Hex.

Despite numerous fault finding exercises including visiting the UK Futaba service centre, I was not having any success. I was just about to replace ESCs nd motors when the Devs thankfully stepped in and rewrote some of the PPM encoder firmware.

Having benched tested the APM for a couple of hours now, I haven't seen any twitches at all on my logs.

It would appear that the twitching issue was unique to Futaba radios and my R6208SB receiver.

Testing will continue and I'm sure once its stability is confirmed, it will be released to the masses.

Big thanks again to the devs, particularly Olivier. Stay tuned :-)
  • I am experiencing similar problem. HAL hobby king quad copter.
  • I have similar issues as well where I almost crashed my Hexa after updating to 2.81, so far unplugging and plugging the battery to re-initiate my APM2 seem to make the problem go away for me, I also took time to cable tie down my loose wiring. My spikes behavior looks exactly the same from the videos you posted. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. 

• Have you tryed the capaciter on one of the RX channels ?

• I have to also add that I am currently chasing this problem.

APM2.5 new running 2.8.1 FW
    Futaba T9CHP with TM-8 FASST module
    R6208SB Rx

Pronounced glitches in flight, especially with a fresh battery.
    Reviewed the logs and the spikes appear on the -IN channels.
    Have purchased a brand new Tx (the same model) and the same spikes happen.
  • Developer

Steven, you can see the same twiching in my video of the release 2.8.0 at "1:07" (pump up the volume), two little twiching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvTj6dlQ9fo

I remember that once these "twiching" I got shot the drone in the air during take-off, as you, saved because it is anchored on a network of protection.

• Developer

Steven, i see one of your videos, this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvs6Udx_bT0&feature=youtu.be

Do you mean the "twitching" at: "0:42 <-> 0:44", "0:14<->1:22""??? :-)
    Welcome to the "twitching club" (LOL, damn)!
    I have already reported to the dev list this kind of problem from months, still unresolved because the logs do not see anything abnormal, but it does to me.

Marco :-(

• Developer

Hi Steven, I'd like to see a video (recorder from the ground without wind) with the problems you mention, only to assess the level of these twitching in flight, thanks!

• My "twitching" saga continues......  :-(

Having replaced both the Rx and the APM, the problem still exisits.

By process of illimination, I can see it being one of the following things:

• Bad Tx
    • Bad ESC
    • Bad Motor

I have attached the latest log file from today, but this is the video of that flight taken after the mid-way landing.

http://youtu.be/Hvs6Udx_bT0

Sorry about the skewed camera angle !

As you will see upon lift-off, there were 2 spikes that caused a bumpy take-off.

Having looked at the logs, I do seem to be experiencing spikes on the IN channels on THROTTLE, ROLL and PITCH (those are the obvious ones).

3692561014?profile=original

Before I start the continued and potentially time consuming task of replacing (in turn) ESC and Motors, can any experts offer a possible explanation to what I am experiencing.

Having spent a small fortune on this Hex not to mention the investment of time, I'd love to progress on my journey without having the presence of the fearful twitch.

To me it looks like the INPUT is causing the issue and its not the Rx.  However, if it proves not to be the Tx also, what could it be ?

Any advice, suggestions or relaxation methods (as its stressing me), would be appriciated.

Steve

2012-12-05 14-48 27.log

• T3
    Hi Steven,

I also I'm experiencing twitching in flight and on the ground. My post to the forums went into the OSD forum by mistake. All six of my motors are pulsating with no rhyme or reason. Now I'm afraid to fly at all. I've rebooted, reloaded, recalibrated, tried different batteries and even upgraded to the latest firmware 2.8.1. Nothing seems to help. I run all motors on the ground or in the air and at random times, all motors spike with power.

From the OSD forum, Randy thought it might be radio interference or a loose wire. So I disconnected my 3DR Radio and OSD and checked all connections. But that did not help.

Today I contacted 3DRobotic support and they suggested I rebind my RC, which I tried immediately when I got home, but that did not help. Below is link to the OSD post which has a link to my log and a view of a graph of my motor spikes so that anyone can review.

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/all-motors-pulsating?commentId=70...

Any insight anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Richard
This reply was deleted.

Activity