OK, in summary I have a TBS discovery and I want to do a better job of setting up its odd angle arms to work with the APM.  I feel like understand this would also be great for testing and adding new platforms like a spider Octa, hexa V, etc.

I've made pictures because I feel they can better convey information.  Basically, I've found the angles on my non-pure X frame (not 45* spacing) from the horizontal and vertical lines.  I tried do a simple edit of these values (see picture 3), but it didn't see very stable over the normal X with the same PID settings.

I also looked at how the Octa V is setup, and I'm thinking that is the best way to tackle this problem, but I don't quite understand how I might map these values out for this setup.  Who wrote the V code?  Could they share any insight?

Here is the normal X frame, and the rough Roll/Pitch factor that gets applied after the add_motor function by my calculations. 

3690974422?profile=original

I then looked at the Octa V and saw how it skipped the add motor function and just wrote raw roll/pitch factors.  I mapped them here to try to better understand how their placement would change my offset X.

3690974001?profile=original

So can I get away with my angle changes running add_motors, or do I need to find out what the real roll/pitch factors for this offset should be?

3690974443?profile=original

Edit: Updated pictures.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Josh,

check this out, ardupirates motor mixing.

I wrote this when I made the V mixing for the arducopter/ardupirates, hope it helps.

Dani

• Finally got some arms, here's what I'm getting for angles on the TBS discovery:

3692554030?profile=originalI'll be trying out 62/-133/-62/133 see how it goes, not until some more parts are in though

• How do you mean it flew badly ? Did it respond to roll/pitch correctly ?

Also, where did you get the raw values ? Here's what I'm getting for these angles (67.5 -120 -67.5 120)

#1 -0.9   0.4

#2  0.9  -0.5

#3  0.9   0.4

#4  -0.9 -0.5

rounded up at one decimal

but if you measured correctly then the correct in-code angles for 2 & 4 should be more like 127.5 , -127.5

• I did some more testing yesterday;  putting the add_motor_raw function works just fine.  I started out just emulating the X quad setup to get a baseline, and this worked as well.   I will flight test the configuration in the last picture today.  It felt like it had more forward pitch correction which is what I wanted.

I still am looking for any information on how one might find these raw values so we can write code for Octa spiders, Hexa V's, or other crazy designs.  Anyone? 

• I just did more flying on the correct angle offset config, and it does not fly well.  The pure X setup feels much better than the correct angle setup, and I believe this is because the "pure" setups are made to be symmetrical in nature.

This reply was deleted.

Activity

Neville Rodrigues liked Neville Rodrigues's profile
Jun 30
Santiago Perez liked Santiago Perez's profile
Jun 21
More…