Online Arducopter development Workshop proposal

Ok putting it out there...

In order to encourage community members to participate in the Arducopter, Ardupilot,  AP Planner project code base ,I think it would be a great idea for a series of live recorded online presentations to be conducted by those  actively involved in the code base.  I envisage this to be similar to online corporate seminars where the audience can ask questions etc. The idea here is to provide a quick start and less daunting way to  enable and engage community members that would like to be involved in code development to further the Arducopter project.  The recorded presentations can then be viewed at a later date.

This will be an opportunity for the wider community to see how the 'big boys/girls' cut and roll code, learn the gottchas and peculiarities of the Arduino environment and promote the widening of the  number of people engaged in the code base.

Some presentation ideas that come to mind are:

1.  Overview of code architecture.  What parts do what e.g. global constants, classes, variables, methods/functions timers etc.

2. Devleopment environment requirements.  Live demonstration of tool chains and code development, e.g. bug diagnostic and general code development workflows.

3. Use of HIL simulator for development.

What are your thoughts?  

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am waiting for this ever since i bought my AMP1 and read the forum every day (a few month now).

This idea can develop in a huge jump for a lot of us and also for the whole project.

Until now I see this comunity a littlebit divided. I meen is a too big "distance" between developers/contributors and the rest of us.

Sometimes I wanted to add replies just saying "english please..."

There is a lot of people here at a beginner level in C++ but with good intentions and maybe with some interesting ideas. Unfortunatelly not everithing we want we can... but with a littlebit of help everithing is possible. 

I see in this comunity a huge potential but until now only a part of this is exploited for the benefit of all of us.

The first and most important step in my opinion is your idea #1. "Overview of code architecture.  What parts do what..."

LET'S DO IT! 

• +2, fantastic idea.
  • Developer

I love this idea. It takes quite a bit of work to bootstrap a development environment and the code is... well 100,000 lines of code. 

Monroe is doing some great work with the Learning to program the Ardupilot Mega group. I think video presentations would be a great way to help people get started. 

I will add my vote on this idea. I've done a whole bunch of webinars, so I will volunteer to deliver one. I will need some help in level-setting for the right amount of information and expectations. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity

Neville Rodrigues liked Neville Rodrigues's profile
Jun 30
Santiago Perez liked Santiago Perez's profile
Jun 21
More…