Hello,

Does any of you have experience to install a BaseCam (AlexMos) SimpleBGC gimbal to the Pixhawk, or have the technical knowledge to inform me if this is possible?

More information about the brushless gimbal controller can be found here: http://www.basecamelectronics.com/simplebgc/

I used this gimbal in combination with DJI Naza V2. I assume the Pixhawk can be used as well to control the gimbal (if DJI can do it, Pixhawk should definitely be capable). The gimbal controller board will take care of stabilizing the 2-axis tilt & roll. I only want to be able to control the camera pitch. Is this possible?

Thanks for suggestions.

Views: 24055

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Talon Six,

The gimbal is a 2-axis (Alexmos) SimpleBGC V1.0. If you need more details let me know. It's a pretty basic version.

Yes more details please :)

I bought the gimbal from Wowhobbies.com

Check this link: http://www.wowhobbies.com/beholdergoprobrushlessgimbalrtggbg-bhc001...

To my opinion a bit overpriced but I purchased it together with my frame.

I use the R7008Sb with Pixhawk using SBUS.  Have you set the Rx to "Mode B" or "Mode D"?  Do not plug Rx into SBUS port on Pixhawk, rather plug into RC IN when doing so.  Single wire connection works real nice.  Have to set Pixhawk to receive SBUS in Mission Planner, then calibrate radio like normal.

I am running a very similar set up. Turbo Ace Matrix-S with their gimbal, 6s, 12 volt voltage regulator, the BaseCam 8 bit flight controler, a Sony A7, and the Pixhawk Flight Controler. It took me months to get this it all working. I am using channel 6 to to control the pitch. I guess you got it figured out by now. Anyway nice setup. If it makes you feel any better I crashed mine 4 times, burned up 3 imu bords, murded 2 lipo batteries, and spent enough money to buy a second Turbo Ace. 

Josh

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties Josh. I "only" crashed it once with the result of 1 broken propeller. I used to fly it with DJI Naza V2 but decided to change to Pixhawk because of all the worrying messages of fly-aways. I have the gimbal working (finally) and still need to get more experience in all the possibilities of the Pixhawk. Haven't tried follow me or waypoints yet. What battery are you using? Also the 6S 8000mAh from Turbo Ace? I purchased 2 of them and they both swollen up pretty fast. How much does your frame weigh including all gear? Mine is 3640 gram including gimbal, gopro 3+ and battery. Fly time about 17 minutes.

Hello Joe,

It wasn't possible for me to have the Pixhawk communicating with the Futuba R7008SB, well not with the previous firmware <3.2. I was advised to purchasing a PPM encoder board.  I installed the receiver SBUS into RC In of the pixhawk. It was responding very erratic (not stable) so installed the PPM Encoder board which works fine.

You mention you have to set the Pixhawk to receive SBUS in MP. Where is this setting available?

My apologies about the comment regarding the SBUS setting in MP.  No such thing (mixed that up with NAZA).

However, I did just look at my MP / Pixhawk Firmware and it appears I am running Arducopter 3.1.5. Recently, I've been getting the Upgrade Pop-up about 3.2.  My thoughts (for me anyway), it's working let's not break it.

Also, I just realized I am running the Futuba R7003SB (3/18 channel RX with SBUS) on my Pix, not the R7008SB.  I am running the R7008SB on my NAZA bird and on it, you have to select Mode B or D to get SBUS out on Slot 8 (you probably had that already figured out).

There must be something a little different between the R7003SB and R7008SB that was causing your erratic issues on the R7008SB.  When you run the Radio Calibration in MP, do you get any (correct) responses on the stick control?  How about the Flight Mode switch control, is that jumpy too?

I found the greatest problem I had with Flight Control response issues on the Pix was having the Armed / Motor_Spin_Armed setting high enough (I'm swinging 12" props on 415kV motors), Throttle_mid (have to do a successful flight test to determine this value in the logs, then enter it), RC_Feel (I set to 75 for "crisp" response), and Thr_min (again 12" props on 415kV motors, I was having motor stall issues).

I had a few flights (like three within the first 10 or so) that resulted in expensive $$ crashes.  Understanding the flight modes was my greatest error.  Loiter and Alt-hold are not like NAZA GPS mode by much (there is a ton of dead-band about the throttle mid-stick in Pix).  Stabilize is about the closest to NAZA attitude mode (if you're familiar with NAZA).  I was really frustrated, but now that I have it tuned, I'm much happier.  Have you had success tuning your bird?

So far, I did not have any issues with Arducopter 3.2. I'm not sure if the issue with the combination Futaba R7008SB/Pixhawk is fixed with this new firmware. Check this topic for more info on this subject: http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/problem-connecting-pixhawk-and-fu...

I did get responses on stick control, but like a said, it was very unreliable. Sometimes it did work and after a pixhawk reboot it might/might not work. Haven't tried the flight mode switches as it didn't pass "my test" for stick control. I didn't dare flying it in that situation either, so I just went with the PPM encoder board. THat works flawless.

I tried the autotune function in Pixhawk, but it wasn't very successful: too high values which was causing my quad the become too responsive. It was also oscillating and heavy vibrations.

There is a topic on this issue as well.

Wow, you're a bit of a dick. Idiot

About that follow mode in Basecam, am I correct if I think it works as such:

Arducopter sends servo PWM values intended for stabilizing a gimbal to the Basecam controller.

The Basecam controller then interprets these values as being the orientation of the frame (with 1500us being flat, 1000 and 2000 being 90 degrees tilted either way).

The documentation is lacking in these details, so it's hard to figure out what's going on.

I haven't tried "follow me" mode yet. Not that I'm not interested, I just haven't had a chance to examine the option. I'm still learning all Pixhawk possibilities. I didn't even try waypoint either. I came from DJI Naza, so Pixhawk is a bit overwhelming. Let me know if you have follow me working.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service